Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Thematic Photographic 22 - Night


Lots of parking
London, ON, October 2008 [Click to embiggen]


I've always preferred night to day. My eyes, like the rest of me, are weird: I have great night vision. Unfortunately, this light sensitivity comes with a bit of a cost in that I can barely see on a sunny day unless I squint severely or wear sunglasses. So I tend to spend more time outside after the sun goes down than before. I've learned to enjoy the peace and quiet that the darkness brings.

Night is a fantastic time for photography as well. Auto-everything goes out the window. You find yourself juggling with compromise after compromise as you try to sharply capture a scene without a tripod or place to brace yourself. Because you're usually alone - because most sane people are tucked safely and quietly away at home - you get to think through a scene in a place that, during the day, wouldn't offer you the same luxury.

Although photography revolves around the capture of light, and night offers precious little light to work with, it's this precise lack of resources that forces you to bring your a-game every time you decide to take pictures this late in the day. It wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun - or as rewarding - if the process was easy.

Your turn: Got a night-themed image (or two, or seven...)? If so, I hope you'll share it with us. Here's how Thematic Photographic, my weekly educationally enjoyable photo challenge, works:
  • Every Wednesday evening, at precisely 7 o'clock Eastern, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
  • Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...night.
  • You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
  • You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
  • If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry.
  • You may post as many photos or links as you wish. For the next week, I'll be supporting this theme with a related picture/posting each day. I encourage you to do the same. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
  • Please share this link with friends, too, and encourage them to join in. The more, the merrier.
Have fun with this week's theme, and thank you for making Thematic Photographic such a highlight here on Written Inc. For last week's TP entry, please click here. For all TP entries to date, click here.

34 comments:

Mystic Thistle said...

I'm glad you gave us the theme a little early yesterday. I took this one last night. Great fun, as always.

http://paulnewmanshirtdays.blogspot.com/2008/10/reading-light-for-carmis-theme-night.html

Anonymous said...

Carmi,
I have very sensitive eyes in bright light too! Thank goodness for shades!

I have a few up if you want to check it out!

Mojo said...

I am so all over this one! Anybody who's followed me for any time at all knows of my great love for night/low light shots. And I've got the whole week covered with pre-scheduled posts. Here's the first of them...
Thematic Photographic 22: Night v.1.0 - Wait Until Dark

Linda said...

here's mine!

writing with fire

Jama said...

First time participating in your challenge, here mine:

http://mummyjam.blogspot.com/2008/10/thematic-photography-22-night.html

Shimmy Mom said...

Well, here is my first attempt at playing along.
I have 3 posts that have photos in the dark. For moon shots go to:
http://shimmymom.blogspot.com/2008/08/full-moon-through-clouds.html

For firework shots:
http://shimmymom.blogspot.com/2008/07/lets-light-up-sky.html

and for Halloween Pumpkins in the Park:
http://shimmymom.blogspot.com/2008/10/pumpkin-walk.html

Thanks for the fun ideas.

kenju said...

My eyes used to be just like yours, Carmi. I loved being out at night when I was younger, but nowadays, the old eyes don't seem to work as well at night, and they tolerate more sunlight than they used to. :-/

Anonymous said...

Prayers and well wishes for your son, Carmi.

I love night time photography.

Painting with light.

Anonymous said...

Une nuit a Tokyo

http://www.babylonezoo.fr/photo.php?no=178

Catherine said...

I have a couple of night shots here

Ken said...

This is a post from a while ago but i think it fits.

Here it is.

Maria's Space said...

Thanks Carmi,

Great picture and I hope your son feels better soon.

Heather said...

I am thinking that I need to get out more with my camera at night! Mine is up now ...

~Heather :)

Anonymous said...

Always beautiful.

I hope Zach is feeling better soon.

Barbara said...

What is more captivating at night than a cabin in the moonlight?

I hope Zach is better and has still managed to stay out of the hospital.

Sleepypete said...

I have something similar with the light thing - I can pull in the photons when it's dark but I'm always reaching for those shades :-)

I have to wear glasses, so I'm glad I can get frames that have proper clipon shades (with magnets) instead of having to switch pairs or put in the nasty after-market shades.

I may have to go hunting for some of the pics I've taken of fireworks :-) Night photo's are tricky - I try and brace the camera on something convenient like a window because I shake a little too much.

PS A belated Happy Birthday to Zach ! This is a good time of year to have a birthday, there's just enough time before Xmas that we get double presents :-)
(Although it does mean my "No-Buy" period is something like October to Jan ...)

Mamie said...

I don't do much night photography, but took this one just for this week's theme. Thanks, Carmi!

me said...

I've got one up. of course tomorrow might have more.
http://spottychop.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Late, but with love for the theme:
Mine is here

Mystic Thistle said...

Apparently I can't stop. Here's one more.

http://paulnewmanshirtdays.blogspot.com/2008/10/happy-halloween-and-more-night-themed.html

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

I am a total night person too though i am not sure if my night photography is any good.......
since i was born allergic to UV rays, most of my adventures begin after sun goes down....so much so that my cousin call me Mrs Vampire :)

Malinda777 said...

My post this week is one of the CRAPPIEST pictures I've ever taken but it sure fits with NIGHT :)

I'm calling it The Blurry Moon :)

http://comejoinin.blogspot.com/2008/11/thematic-photographic-darkness.html

OR CLICK HERE TO SEE

Unknown said...

Mine are up now! Here

Mrs. Monkey said...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3041/2858168735_5e9c27db51_b.jpg

My offering from a local festival ride. I enjoyed playing with my camera that night as I rarely take night shots!

Barbara said...

Some of my favorite shots are shown here in Night Lights.

ChrissyM said...

I'm a little late in playing along this week. Hope your son is feeling better. Great night shot. My photo can be seen here

http://theworldthroughchrissyslens.blogspot.com/2008/11/thematic-photographic-22-night.html

smarmoofus said...

I missed last week's "Happy" theme (how could I miss that theme?! *hastily throws up a tie-in link on her post from yesterday*), but I'm back this week for Night. I hope to have more before the week is done, and since I'm playing along with NaBloPoMo this month, the odds are good that I'll need to take more night shots to play along with Thematic Photographic, just to have something to post one night. Yup. That's what the odds say.

Click my name for my first night photo...
-smarmoofus

Wendy said...

I love the night. The contrasts and the shadows. It just kind of envelops you.
http://imbrium1212.blogspot.com/

janie said...

Cool photo, it's like a still from an old horror movie, the emptiness maybe,or halloween still on my mind!!

here's mine , a curious cat
http://janies-rainy-day.blogspot.com/2008/11/night-prowler-peeping-tom.html

Justin and Sarah Rose said...

here's ours!!

http://acoupleofroses.blogspot.com/2008/11/thematic-photographic.html

twobuyfour said...

http://2buy4.wordpress.com/

Okay, it took me awhile to get my pictures loaded, but they're up now. There are lots of good submissions to this week's theme by a lot of your commenters. You must have struck a nerve.

MB said...

Thanks for giving me something to look forward to every week. I'm trying to find the time to get out and get some new shots instead of pulling from the archives. Maybe next week.

I know exactly how you feel about bright lights. My eyes are extremely sensitive too.

Here is my night photo:

http://finallyfiguringitout.blogspot.com/2008/11/thematic-photographic-night.html

DNLee said...

I'm participating in the theme - showing scenes from my field site.
http://urban-science.blogspot.com/2008/11/wordless-wednesday-my-field-site-urbana.html

PastormacsAnn said...

Finally got my night photos up just in the nick of time.

This was a tough one for me.

Night

and while you're here you can check out my Happy photos too.