Monday, October 20, 2008

Lost in the fog of suburbia


Disappearing act
London, ON, August 2004


We live in a part of the world that has more than its fair share of foggy weather. I admit getting a little jolt of excitement when I wake up and realize the world outside is socked in. Sounds seem muted because folks either stay off the streets or choose to move more slowly on them. The soft light seems to take the edge off of the few things that are visible - it almost seems like the world is a blur (hence the connection to this week's Thematic Photographic theme...please click here to share your blurry vision.)

It usually doesn't take long before the sun comes along and burns it off, but for a short while, anyway, we get to enjoy a bit of nature-inspired peace.

I shot this photo down my street. The graininess is a function of low light, a pretty rudimentary camera and my inability at the time to coax anything better out of this very simple point-and-shoot. But considering that I was wearing my slippers and jammies when I first wandered outside, it turned into a memorable moment regardless. I'm already awaiting our next foggy morning wakeup.

Your turn: What's the first thing that comes to mind when you first peek out the window after waking up and see pea soup fog?

17 comments:

Christine said...

OMG Carmi! Frame this picture!! (And send it to me!! :)

kenju said...

I agree with Christine. Blow it up and frame it.

And I'm thinking, I'm glad I don't have to go out in it.

Barbara said...

Beautiful photo. I love the fog, too. There weren't many foggy mornings in Phoenix but here in Missouri they are far more common. As long as I am home with a nice cup of coffee I like to look out over the ravine in back and watch the fog break up and move up the ridge. Driving in it ain't so cool, though.

Star said...

The first line of a poem I learned in grade school. "The fog crept in on little cat feet". I think he author is CArl Sandburg.

Mystic Thistle said...

This photograph is haunts me in a beautiful way. Fog makes me think of the years my family spent living abroad in Scotland when I was a child. I'll miss the landscape and the mysterious fog always. I even crave it, at times.

Elizabeth McQuern said...

Pretty!! You have such a good eye.

bobbie said...

Lots of fog makes for a gorgeous picture. I agree with Christine.

Anonymous said...

I would love to have a little more fog around here. It is not totally uncommon but it is rare enough that it is difficult to catch it at a convenient time.

This is just beautiful in black and white.

Lynda said...

What a beautiful street. Love the fog from this perspective.

PostCards said...

Great photo. When I wake up to a foggy day I can't wait to go out into it. Ideally to walk, but drive if I must. Love a good foggy morning.

photowannabe said...

After 41 years in the San Francisco Bay Area and waking up to foggy, drizzly days with a groan I can now say no more. We are now 2 hours away from the natural air conditioning and loving it. Photography was wonderful and I got plenty of moody pictures but too much fog made me Moody too. Not a good thing.,
Soooo
This is a prize picture and is perfect for your theme. I really do like it.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

a morning like this would make me slip into my bed all over again....:)

MorahMommy said...

I remember when you took this. I think it was 3 in the morning. I woke up and your were gone. I was in a panic because I didn't know where you were and you weren't answering your phone.

Once I looked out the window and saw the fog and your camera bag gone, I knew exactly what you were doing.

I love that picture!

xoxo

From your number 1 fan!

Debbie said...

One thing I miss about northern CA is the fog - here in Las Vegas, it is a truely rare to see fog. I miss the mist on the skin.

It may be time for a trip to CA a long the coast to get a taste of FOG.

Thanks for the photo as it brings back some dear memories.

Anne said...

Nice shot, I like the quietness of a foggy morning, too.

Admin said...

I love fog, and I love snow that blankets everything.

Leora said...

This is lovely. I can't remember seeing a fog like that in New Jersey. But when we were in PA this summer, I saw one on the mountains in the early am, and then it lifted by the time my boys woke up.

I was really having fun taking silly blurry pictures with my camera last week. Can't say they were masterpieces of art, however.