Fairfax currently owns 10% of BlackBerry's outstanding shares, and is the company's largest shareholder.
Update 12:46 a.m. - Apologies for not filling anything in for the past, oh, almost-12 hours. It's been a pretty intense time around here, and while the fun is seriously cutting into my beauty sleep time, I've been able to rack up some pretty exciting wins in my tech-journalism quest for whatever it is that tech journalists want to be when they grow up.
Here's a quick rundown of the damage:
- I wrote an article for Yahoo (Canada and global) outlining the deal and its implications:
- Earlier in the day, before the deal was announced, I had also filed this piece for Yahoo Canada. It was also picked up globally:
- Even earlier in the day, I had spoken with Marci Ien on CTV's Canada AM about BlackBerry's big day on Friday. Here's the video.
- Also still before sun-up, I spoke with Matt Galloway of CBC Radio's Metro Morning in Toronto, CBC Ontario Morning's Wei Chen, and Tyler McLean on News 889 Saint John and News 919 Moncton.
- Spoke with Peter Akman for his report on the CTV National News. Video here. Somewhat cool fact: they included a clip of my talking head in the opening sequence of the show (I love when that happens!) Video here.
- Chatted with CTV London anchor Tara Overholt for the 6pm and 11pm newscasts. Video here.
- Spoke with the BBC's Wake Up To Money program on BBC Radio 5 Live.
- Closer to home, I spoke with 1290 CJBK's Don Landry (summary link here) and AM980's Jess Brady. I chatted with AM980'S Devon Peacock for his show, The Pulse. In Waterloo, I spoke with the 570News team for their afternoon newscasts.
- In Toronto, I spoke with Gill Deacon from CBC Radio's Here and Now (the CBC.ca story is here), AM640's Jeff McArthur, and Scott Reid on NewsTalk1010. Apparently I was yin to Kevin O'Leary's yang.
- Deborah Yedlin from the Calgary Herald interviewed me for a piece she's writing.
- Much further from home, I spoke with BBC Radio's Wake up to Money segment. Story link here, Audio link here.