Wednesday, September 11, 2013

From generation to generation

Hanging with Zayda
London, ON
April 2013
About this photo: We're celebrating treasures all week - click here to share yours. Here, our kids enjoy their treasure, Zayda (grandfather) Irving, on a recent visit to our house. I know they treasure him as much as he treasures them, and I'm glad they've got him in their lives.
I've been hanging out with our kids a lot more than usual lately. Time isn't slowing down - imagine that - so either I grab the opportunity while I can or look back with regret later on. Since regret isn't something I prefer to do, we hang.

I was out with our youngest today. We had lots to do, including running everyone to and from activities, and replacing the phones in the house after an unfortunate near-flameout on-air earlier this week. Nothing extraordinary, mind you. Just the typical day-to-day of a typical family.

In between dodging intense thunderstorms that spawned tornado warnings, hail and torrential rains and winds, the little man got hungry. So we stopped off for a bagel and some juice. As we sat on the high-ish stools at the front of the bakery, I found myself resting my head on my arm as he shared the news of his day with me.

It wasn't a day for the record books. We didn't mark any major milestones, nor did we dress up and rock the world. It was just a day. But it was a day I got to spend with him. I got to watch him enjoy a bagel he called the freshest he'd had in a while. I got to watch him clean the cream cheese off his oh-so-squishable face. I got to hear his voice.

Sounds trivial, I know. It isn't. Not now. Chalk up another treasure - of a son, of a day, of a life - for one very lucky dad. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Your turn: What will tomorrow bring...for you? Go ahead, dream a little.

5 comments:

Alexia said...

Beautifully expressed, Carmi.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

The simple moments count the most! :-)

MorahMommy said...

It's moments like that he will remember. My daddy looks so cute with his three treasures.

You're my treasure. Xo

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Great pic, Carmi!
~

21 Wits said...

Super sweet!