Tuesday, September 17, 2013

On writing, silence, and fear

"Writing is a struggle against silence."
Carlos Fuentes
As a writer, I've come to appreciate the quiet moments of reflection where the ideas begin to coalesce in my head. But I've also come to dread the moment where I might sit in front of my keyboard and screen and the words fail to materialize. I don't even want to imagine what that would be like, and I'm thankful I haven't experienced it thus far.

May the struggle continue for all of us whose lives revolve around the written word.

4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I totally agree.. because when the words fail, that means to me that I have lost the ability to express due to either fear of interpretation, fear of losing the confidence others think of me... Or worse, that I have lost the ability to express... to me that would be the worst...The older I get, I find it so easy to express and not worry...after all its just words and how its perceived is not my doing... hmmm, I think I have contradicted myself! what do u think?

21 Wits said...

This reminds me of something my ex-mother-in-law used to say about me, (after many miles were between us, and letters were our main communication) she knew the times I was silent, were the times I had so very much to say. I think that still exists for me today. I do fear the day my mind goes blank, and I don't write for a living yet!

Unknown said...

Well, I understand Carmi. This takes it's own course as we regroup and come back with something new. I've been reading a short stack of books designated for "summer reading". his has captured my attention for blogs for now. All best!

Snaggle Tooth said...

We all have tough writing days- I spend alot of blogging NOT writing stuff that irritates me- I'm just happy I can even get online sometimes (Today I'm BBsitting so zipping along- Home is too slow to visit here).

Hope we always get to write, n get read!