Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hardwood floor


Say goodbye
London, ON, June 2008


This view down the floor of the main office in our kids' school will soon be all we have left: We've held our last classes there, our stuff has been boxed and taken offsite in anticipation of the move to our new school, and we hand over the property for good to the new owners on Monday.

(If you're just joining us, click here for the original entry on our school's big transition.)

This floor has always fascinated me. Its well worn planks betrayed every one of the building's more than 80 years of existence. I suspect they'd have some amazing stories to tell about the students, teachers, librarians and neighbourhood folks who have called this place home for so long.

Your turn: The imprints that an important building left on you. Please discuss.

One more thing: This image continues this week's Thematic Photographic theme, wood. If you haven't joined in yet - or if you're wondering what this neat new online photo sharing project is all about - please click here to get started. I just know you'll love the experience.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

This really goes back to your post about the school. The main building of my high school is in bad shape and demolition is recommended. The faithful alumni who are in town don't want it to happen. At least, the school board plans to build a new school with the same architecture.

Several buildings have been added to the campus and they have all been in the same style, so I'm sure that the main building would be also.

The junior high that I went to was demolished many years ago, and I'm sorry that I didn't get a brick from it. If the high school goes, I hope that they will put a few bricks from the old building in the cornerstone...or something.

I'm sure the wood floor of your building could tell many stories. I have a couple of "wood" posts up.