Friday, December 19, 2008

Bridge over troubled waters


Crossings
Laval, QC, August 2008 [Click to enlarge]

Quick note: Thematic Photographic explores "quiet" all week long (click here to join in.) Which is appropriate given how quiet I'm feeling these days. I know everyone responds to tragedy differently (please see here and here if you're just joining us). In my case, I find it difficult to write. Which is why my word counts may be down in the days to come. I'm not disappearing, of course, but perhaps a little quiet from my keyboard is just what my soul needs right about now.
I can't quite explain why I derive peace by walking near or beside bodies of water. It's not as if I can swim in this particular one (well, I could. But then I'd grow a third thumb.) But regardless of how polluted said convergence of liquid is, I think differently when I'm standing on the edge of land and water.

Your turn: Why is that? Does being near water bring you peace?

11 comments:

magiceye said...

quiet personified!!!! beautiful take!

kenju said...

Yes, Carmi, it does, and I am not sure why. The ocean does it for me, even with it is roiling with an approaching storm.

In your photo, the glassiness of the water's surface speaks of serenity and stillness.

~j said...

this is so peaceful. i don't know why water has a calming effect on people....from warm baths to gazing at ocean waves. i guess we're just wired that way. =D

Barbara said...

Whether it's the pond down the hill or the mighty ocean, I am pulled to the mystery of what lies below. Also the sounds of gentle ripples or crashing surf have calming powers. Why? Hmmm. Maybe because water is our lifeblood and we are made up of so much water. A balancing connection?

Then there is the psychological modification that occured during my life causing me to be afraid of water I can't see the bottom of.

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

Like you, I feel peace when near a large body of water. I love the ocean best. But then I have never been to Lake Como... Although I want to!! It would be my new favorite I am certain. Even a small stream is oddly comforting somehow. If you discover why this is- please tell me right away! :D
As always Carni, your photos are lovely...

Mojo said...

My love of the ocean is well documented, but even smaller bodies of water can have that effect on me. In fact, "body" of water isn't even a requirement. Something as small as an aquarium can lull me into a pacific state.

But since you mention it, my second foray into the Quiet theme is a more conventional view of my opener -- from a different angle.
Thematic Photographic 29 - "Quiet" v.2.0: "Yates Mill by Day"

Hilary said...

It's part of who we are and how the world functions. It contains and sustains life.

Rolling water is rhythmic. Standing water is inviting. Rushing water is exciting. Frozen water has a beauty all its own.

The closest natural lure that I can think of aside from water, is fire.

Anonymous said...

Wish you could've seen the mist rising from Lake Okanagan yesterday!!! So beautiful!

bobbie said...

Carmi, I couldn't resist doing a few more on "Quiet" before the theme changes. You will find mine at:
http://bobbie-almostthere.blogspot.com/

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

love the colors refelcted in water.....they remind me of those gorgeous "saris" in my mom's wardrobe :)

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite! Its like I want to stay there for a while, take a deep breath and refresh while remembering some beautiful thoughts.

I have added your link to mine, hope you don't mind and that you will do the same :-)