Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bleak? Maybe not


Look up, waaay up
London, ON, August 2007


Things in our house have been somewhat off the chaotic scale in recent weeks (for more background, please read my wife's blog entry.) All sorts of stuff is swirling around us, and we seem to have little ability to control the progression or the outcome. It's a little unsettling, but I've got to believe that things will work themselves out soon enough.

In the meantime, I find myself looking for comfort wherever I can find it: walks with the kids and the dog, expeditions to the grocery store, quiet moments spent with a pen, a pad of paper and an idea. This is the kind of picture that reminds me that refuge from chaos can sometimes be found where we least expect it.

Wherever you are and whatever you're facing, I hope you look up and find something peaceful and/or otherwise memorable as well.

Your turn: What's your oasis?

One more thing: Yes, I'm in a monochrome mood these days (see this earlier entry. And this one. Oh yes, and this one, too.)

14 comments:

tommie said...

my oasis happens at home usually at the end of the day, the babies are in bed, the house is picked up, all is quiet.....

until just before dawn the next day when all the chaos of our little lives starts again.

kenju said...

My oasis lately, is here at the computer. I gain solace and peace here, reading the posts and being inspired.

Anonymous said...

My oasis? Home, early morning, before anyone else wakes up and the daily chaos hasn't begun. Sadly, it's too short a time for me these days. I think we all have way too much on our plates these days. Hope you find some solace and comfort.

Heather said...

hoo.my oasis is an hour alone with a good book on my comfy couch after a long day at work.

CG said...

In my bed, under my new goose feather and down duvet, with a favourite book!

Anonymous said...

My oasis is time at home alone. I rarely ever have it, but when I finally get to have it, it's sheer heaven.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Hey Carmi...my life is pretty chaotic these days too.....i dont remember the last time we cooked a meal at home owing to our theses work ...hope all settles down around you soon....

i love the series of monochrome shots here....keep them coming, I say :)

Lori said...

My oasis is music. There are times when I'm driving and hear a certain piece and it brings me to tears....in a good way! It's one of those things that can truly turn me around...

Unknown said...

Carmi: Lately,it's just been going somewhere and relaxing, maybe taking in a movie. But fast walking is the most invigorating, and I think up new ideas during my walk.

Tabor said...

Carmi, I have not been reading here for a while but am sorry you are in that stage of your life where things are coming together in stressful ways. I have been there. Life does go on. My oasis is looking into my grandchild's eyes and taking him for a little walk.

SandyCarlson said...

How good to find symmetry and balance exactly where you were.

I'm with kenju: my oasis is right here reading wonderful blogs and enjoying the works of talented artists.

longspider said...

Yes, doesn't it seem like chaos craves company? One worry seldom comes alone... In such times, an oasis is invaluable - you got mine pegged: "quiet moments spent with a pen, a pad of paper and an idea." It's just that they don't seem to happen as often when life throws some of its famed curveballs...

Thanks for encouraging comment, btw - that's sort of an oasis in itself, reading blogger comments :)

Shephard said...

I just finished a spate of three's. I know the feeling. You have the right idea, searching for something that lifts your eyes above it all. :)

Michele insisted I come back. :)
~S

Anonymous said...

My oasis is right here in my office. The door shut means mom needs her 'alone' time. I listen to a little Patrizio, soft lighting, and sit back and read some great blogs. Hence why I'm here :o) I hope the bleakness turns around soon for you and your family.