Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Keystone


Arched
London, ON, October 2007 [Click to embiggen]

Arches are funny things. The keystone - the ornamental block at the top of the arch - gets all the credit for being the anchor, the most important piece, the big kahuna. Yet an arch is incapable of holding itself together unless every single block is precisely shaped and fitted.

The other blocks may all be anonymously similar and they lack fancy titles that set them apart, but each one fulfills a critical role in keeping the entire works from crashing.

Part of me wonders if there's a lesson in there for the rest of us.

Your turn: Unsung heroes. Please discuss.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Your comments about the arch apply to many, many things in life.

get zapped said...

Love the image and the commentary. I would agree wholeheartedly, we are all interconnected. I hope for the day when that is realized on a global level, but it starts with the individual....

Anonymous said...

Unsung heroes: every good, working parent who has to balance a job and child care, for that matter every parent, garbage collectors (because who WANTS that job?), and the old Mexican guy with the straw hat and suspenders who helped feed his family by selling tomales door to door when we lived in San Jose. (I always wanted more of his story, and I never asked.)

And Carmi, I love this picture.

Beverly said...

Such a good lesson here. We are made up of many parts, once cannot function without the other.

Rainbow dreams said...

so true Carmi, neither words or photos are forthcoming recently so will ponder a while.. read and think.. cheers,Katie,x

Chad Oneil Myers said...

As usual...I like it, Carmi ;)

Anonymous said...

Arches are about life. Holding on to it. One wrong move, it falls apart.

Getting technical, in India, most forts and old buildings do have arches. Only now we aregetting linear in our architecture. That sucks!

Michele keeps sending me here to make up for last week.

Hen Jen said...

wow, I really like this one, and I liked the one of the trees. Your great photos and interesting views inspire me to get out there and take more photos.