Monday, October 22, 2007

Bridge Over the River Thames


What lies beneath
London, ON, October 2007 [Click to embiggen]


I'm still working through an extended monochrome phase. Despite the colors of the season, I seem to be viewing the world around me in relatively cold, stark terms. Not sure why: I suspect life these days isn't the Happy Fun Ball that I wish it would be. Such is life.

I caught this scene on the same walkabout that resulted in this one. The contrasts between reflected, tonal color and cold concrete, gravel beside a depleted, polluted excuse for a river are pretty severe. Both were taken just under three minutes apart, and reflect my contention that photography has little to do with reality, and everything to do with the kind of reality you choose to capture when you decide to scan your world using a viewfinder instead of your eyes.

Your turn: The filters we apply to our view of the world. Please discuss.

8 comments:

b13 said...

I picked up a infrared lens recently, but still have not mastered it. I always loved shooting b&w with my 35mm but haven't done much since going digital... although it is so much easier now.

Nestor Family said...

Wow, Carmi... the topic is BIG today. Filters can work both ways, no? I filter what I am saying to you. You filter what you hear me say and then potentially filter your reaction...

(And if you type the word "filter" enough times it starts to look funny!!!)

awareness said...

Well stated Carmi. Reality is all through our own chosen perspective....through all of our senses.

thinking of you and your family. Life may feel quite stark right now, but always remember the light still shines through the cracks. it may not produce colour, but it still shines onto monochrome too.

Open Grove Claudia said...

A Buddhist master told me once that when our filters are removed, time slows down to an almost glacial movement. We become so aware of every stimulation that things appear to move slowly. He stated that this was one of the reasons people avoid enlightenment. It's too freaky.

Working with severe trauma survivors, I learned that everyone experiences something - the same event - through their filter.

For ex. when the towers fell in NYC in 2001, I sat with someone who was overwhelmed with not being able to help; the next hour with someone who felt terrified as if the terrorists were coming to her house; another who said the world bank was evil; and on and on. Every hour had someone with a different response. Same stimulation, different response.

To me? That's a filter.

Lee Ann said...

I do see the world in muted colors sometimes. What a wonderful feeling though, when the sunshines through!!!
Have a great week!
~xo
Lee Ann

Ms Smack said...

I'm sorry if this sounds.. childish, but I believe people are very much like onions, as featured in the dialogue of Shrek.

We peel off certain layers for certain people, or leave ourself completely wrapped for others.

The closer you get the core, the more honoured you should be....

Fantastic photos. I was going to comment on each of them but that would look stalkerish.

Cheers,
Smack

tommie said...

going with the deeper meaning of your post, I am sure I look thru rose colored glasses at things. By nature I am a pessimistic person. But given the situation with a deployed spouse, I have to look at the brighter side of life....in 56 days I will get back to more of a balance.

CG said...

Thinking of you, Carmi...