Saturday, June 09, 2012

The new new Spiderman

Figure eight
Delray Beach, FL
December 2009






















Please accept my apologies if you're an arachnophobe, but this picture struck me as particularly evocative of this week's natural world theme (head here for more.) My logic is simple: What's out there isn't always neat, clean or otherwise perfect. Sometimes, brushing up against it - or even seeing a picture of it - makes us feel more than a little uncomfortable. But as wondrous as it can be, the world isn't a perfect place, and wishing otherwise isn't going to change reality.

Besides, spiders eat all the other icky stuff out there, so they're kinda like helper-beings. I thought this one looked somewhat worth shooting despite my wife's insistence that I crush it like a, um, bug. This particular critter was already outside, so I figured I could skate with a quick shoot followed by a gentle coaxing-into-the-bushes session. Jarring as it was, I just couldn't squish it.

Your turn: Spiders...splat or save? Why?

5 comments:

Nestor Family said...

SPLAT! I am usually reacting too quickly to ask why. ;-)

photowannabe said...

Yup...splat for me too.

CorvusCorax12 said...

save, because like you said they are useful !
now mosquitoes...

Max Sartin said...

For me it's an if/then proposition. If they are inside my house - splat (or I do employ the option of sucking them up in the vacuum occasionally). But if they are outside then I leave them be.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Spiders are people, too!

I'm catch and release with them.
~