Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Where waves go to die

Pure energy
Delray Beach, FL
December 2011
Please click here to share some Thematic "Natural World" goodness




















I know getting to the seashore isn't always practical for most folks. If, like me, you live in the middle of the continent, there's the not insubstantial issue of getting yourself to a coast. Then, once you're there, you've got to contend with madness-level parking, a beach packed with Archie, Reggie and Moose wannabes, and a bathing suit full of sand. Seriously, it's an ugly process just to get here.

But once you do ge here, oh my. You get to stand in the surf and feel the immense energy of a wave that probably originated thousands of miles away, that contains enough oomph to knock you - and all those Archie, Reggie and Moose wannabes, too - off your feet if you're not careful. And you get to experience that feeling as many times as you want, for there's always another wave behind the current one.

And if you stand in this spot long enough, you'll feel the very rhythm of a planet most of us have managed to distance ourselves from in our everyday lives. Yes, I'm being metaphysical. But few things feel as pure as being here. Every sense is alive with input. And you can't help but feel that your soul's been recharged in the process.

I can't wait to go back. Indeed, I've wanted to go back since I first walked out out of the surf on that perfect vacation day. Getting there may be hard. Leaving is even harder.

Your turn: What other places can do this to you?

3 comments:

Linda said...

I absolutely loved living near a beach. We didn't go everyday, but I saw it when I drove to home and it was there when I wanted to feel the breeze, smell the salty air or the crisp coldness of the pulling waves. I've sinced moved inland and the closed beach is over 8 hours away - I miss knowing there was water close.

Linda said...

I absolutely loved living near a beach. We didn't go everyday, but I saw it when I drove to home and it was there when I wanted to feel the breeze, smell the salty air or the crisp coldness of the pulling waves. I've sinced moved inland and the closed beach is over 8 hours away - I miss knowing there was water close.

Linda said...

I used to live in Virginia Beach, one house row over from a private beach. I didn't go every day, but you could smell the salt on the air and hear the waves. I live 8 hours inland from any respectable amount of water and there isn't a day that goes by somewhere deep inside that I don't miss living near the water. (And that's saying a lot given that I'm usually have terrified of it...)