Thursday, June 21, 2012

On changing course

"Nobody's journey is seamless or smooth. We all stumble. We all have setbacks. It's just life's way of saying, 'Time to change course.'"
Oprah Winfrey

I'm hardly Ms. Winfrey's biggest fan. While I admire her tremendously for trying to improve our planet, I've never been entirely comfortable with her watered-down, magazine-glossy approach. It's pablum for the masses, and it can grate.

But this quote somehow hits home, and reminds me that, on occasion, we need to look beyond our initial conclusions. There's wisdom hidden in the weeds of populist pap. And as I ponder the meaning of life, the universe and everything, her words - these words - take on great meaning.

Your turn: So where are YOU headed? (Nothing like an open-ended question to shake up the day!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pondering life is a dangerous thing- it can lead to great growth and understanding- very difficult things that are not for the faint of heart. :)

I'm never quite sure where I'm headed- life really does change course often, without notice or consideration. I love the paradox of 'best to hold on tight and let go'

Love her quote too, thanks for sharing this.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I agree w/you about Oprah.. Her new format on tv I don't like... She comes off as all knowing and to me it could be the blame of the media, the women who fawn over her, etc...
I agree about the quote tho... I am at a realization concerning my mother.. I have come to realize that I can no longer talk to her in a rational/logical way like I use to... She either fights it because she just doesn't want to see the logic or its just a case of her mind getting old... I have accepted the latter... its taken me awhile to come to that... beforehand I was finding issue in other people that really did not deserve the energy.. when in fact I just couldn't deal w/that mom's mind has changed a lot due to age... Now that it is written down, I can deal w/it, also I feel better knowing that that was the bottom line a along.,.( dang, epiphany does fit doesn't it C?) lol.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."
~