Monday, July 02, 2012

Project Glass. My version.

Heavy ball
London, ON
July 2012
Click here for more summer-themed Thematic.























Shanghai has a lovely glass museum that I was lucky enough to visit when I was there in May. I somehow got it into my head that I should bring a little piece of this place home. So as I wandered into the gift shop, I found myself looking at pieces that wouldn't shatter into a zillion little shards on the way home.

I figured a heavy, dense ball of glass would be naturally robust. I didn't figure on it giving security guards kanipshen fits as their machines zeroed in on something the looked like Fat Man's enriched uranium core, wrapped carefully in the middle of my camera bag. It made for some entertaining discussions with security agents, some in languages I couldn't even begin to understand.

That was the bad news. The good news was they totally ignored the very fresh orange I accidentally forgot in my backpack. I checked it for invasive fruit flies before I chomped it for my first welcome-home breakfast.

Seriously, it's a wonder I'm not sitting in a concrete cell. Good times.

4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I find it funny that a product from their country set off 'alarms'...Little did they know that piece of fruit......
btw that round glass is gorgeous, looks like a swirling droplet of water....

sisterAE said...

Reminds me of the time I bought a handful of keychain trinkets in the Little Rock airporrt gift shop, some were little bitty flashlights, others were little liquid-filled tubes (with a red hog that floated out from behind a fence). I pushed the little bag onto my carryon and took the 7 steps to the security line where the security people acted like they had never seen such a thing. I decided that part of their training should be to shop in the airport's own stores.

kenju said...

That's a beautiful paperweight. I am surprised they didn't think you were going to use it as a weapon!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

All I've ever been busted for before is a can of shaving cream that was TOO BIG!
~