Monday, January 28, 2013

I can't believe it's not butter

Like a hot knife through butter
Laval, QC
August 2012
This isn't really butter. It's cream cheese, the way it used to be before they whipped it, stuffed it into plastic tubs and charged you three times as much for it. The delightfully dense bricks of the stuff that used to force you to concentrate really hard as you carved off just enough to cover your bagel, but not too much that it squeezed out the sides when you closed it all up.

We had bagels, lox (oops, smoked salmon) and cream cheese for dinner last night. Coupled with an early morning trip to what passes for a bagel shop here in southwestern Ontario, it all had me feeling rather nostalgic.

There was even virtually no traffic on the road when we went to pick up our order - an echo of what it was like when I was a kid and my parents would send me to the real bakery for real bagels (see my earlier entry, Return to the Dirty Bakery).

Ah, memories. Good stuff.

Your turn: What are you eating for breakfast this morning?

One more thing: We're winding down our week-long look at softness. You've still got time to share your own by clicking here. I'm going to keep the theme relatively consistent into the next week: soft light. If it sounds like fun, drop in at 7 p.m. (OMG, tonight!) to see what we've got cooking.


3 comments:

Michèle et Jean-Claude said...

Very traditional breakfast for me, toast with homemade wholewheat bread with peanut butter and strawberry jam. Coffee of course!

21 Wits said...

Silly me, I (just) had a beef salami on oatnut bread- kind of skipped a real breakfast and went straight to lunch! But I have three packages of the original Philadelphia (yummy-creamy) cream cheese cakes wrapped in a silver covering! Almost had a cream cheese and tomato sandwich!

fredamans said...

Ironically, I had a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast. LOL.