Friday, January 04, 2013

Someone's got a gun

Please don't shoot
Shanghai, China
May 2012

Click photo to embiggen
This is one of my favorite photos of the year (see here to share yours) because it represented one of the few times in my life where I stared through my lens and literally had no words to describe what I saw. Which strikes me as a pretty neat thing.

As best I can tell, this was a film shoot on the riverfront of Shanghai's Pudong financial district. At various points in the shoot, there was a woman wearing a bridal gown, and someone else pulling the rickshaw. It looked like a badly done student project, except the actors and wannabes all seemed too old to be students.

Still, from my perch on a nearby hill, it made for entertaining viewing. Whatever it was.

Your turn: What was it?

3 comments:

21 Wits said...

I do remember this photo! Nice capture!

mikey said...

That is the classic C96 "Broomhandle" Mauser, an early automatic pistol.

Noteworthy in current discussions for it's lack of a removable magazine. The internal magazine was loaded from "stripper clips" - a reminder that the gun industry can find any number of ways around magazine regulations. The only real solution to gun violence is gun regulation...

Unknown said...

Carmi: I laughed at your reference to "a badly made student project"! A great post, and Happy New year!