Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Soft puppy, warm puppy

Even he skips over the cracks
London, ON
July 2012
Click here for more Thematic softness
First, I must apologize to the good folks who write for The Big Bang Theory. I know Sheldon's favorite song refers to cats and not dogs, but my house has none of the former and one of the latter, so there it is.

There, I feel better. Let's continue.

I haven't written about the furry little man in a while because I'm guessing his usual exploits - eating garbage, napping, barking at squirrels, napping some more, waking us up in the middle of the night, etc. - don't rise above the usual everyday-ness of an everyday life.

But here's the thing: I kinda dig his version of the everyday. He's had enough health issues in his relatively young life that he probably deserves his own wing at the vet, but he doesn't KNOW he's sick. He still bounds out the door for his walks with reckless abandon, still roams the sidewalk from side to side like a deliriously happy drunk, still chases jackrabbits into the bushes like he was born to hunt all day. Of course, he was, but he doesn't consciously know any of this. He just lives every day in his usual bouncy way.

Somewhere buried in this 30-ish pound of soft, warm, quivering fur there's a lesson for folks like you and me. As I walk him every day and see this fast-moving little being at the end of the leash, I need to remind myself what it is about a dog's life that humans like us need to emulate. He's been granted fewer days on this planet than we have, yet he seems to have already figured it out just fine.

1 comment:

21 Wits said...

Of course he skips over the cracks- He knows, "If you step on a crack you break your mother's back!" if only we could be as smart as dogs!
It's funny that saying was something we said all the time as a child growing up- I've now taught it to my children's children as well!