Thursday, February 11, 2010

The desert under the waves


Wet or dry?
Deerfield Beach, FL, December 2008
About this photo: As part of this week's Thematic Photographic, we're sharing photos taken while we were on vacation - wherever that may have been. Click here to get started.
Sometimes, you find yourself in the right place at the right time, and you end up with a series of pictures that you know you'll have difficulty ever capturing again. I've been wandering around beaches for years, inexplicably shooting down into the water where the waves break, and this was the only time it ever looked like this - reminds me of a desert of sorts.

It's yet another reason why I feel naked when I don't have a camera within arm's reach. I just never know when magic moments like this will present themselves. And I never want to be left wondering what could have been.

Your turn: A memorable example of great timing. Please discuss.

7 comments:

MorahMommy said...

I love this photo. If you crop it, it almost looks like the scales on a fish. Although we sometimes complain about Dad and his camera, we love you and what you produce!

xoxo

Peg Cherre said...

This is a really great shot. If you hadn't said what it was, I could imagine thinking all sorts of things. It looks alive to me.

Carina said...

This one looks almost biological. Maybe a close up of the lining of the small intestine.

I like it! =)

David Edward said...

the naked feeling is ok with me. It drives me to appreciate fully and to let the images soak into my memory.
( besides, I have you as my back up... you have shot almost everything there is to shoot! )

Cloudia said...

Yep, always have my camera too!

Very nice shot.


ShAloha, Carmi


Comfort Spiral

Mojo said...

I have a shot similar to this one from Carolina Beach back in 2002. In fact I'm almost sure I used it in one of my earliest TP's ("Light" I think was the theme... maybe TP 6?). I digress. The beauty of this shot is that you can pretty well turn it into anything you like. It engages you, forces you to be a participant rather than a spectator.

And yes, timing is everything -- in every context. And never more than in a medium like photography -- at least when you're shooting in natural light that changes literally by the second. It wasn't quite as critical in this shot as it would be in some, but it was still pretty important. And lucky that I turned around when I did.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Such texture! Makes ya wanna touch it- This reminds me of a landscpe in the beginning of the Riddick 3 movie- in miniature, which wasn't underwater.

I got some good sandy-low tide beach rippple pics recently (colorized n posted on ESR this Feb)
I really love the fact it's like a fingerprint of the water effects of tide currents- n never the same twice!
I like that the water here is invisible!