Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Thematic Photographic 87 - On the road


Iconic
Jennings, GA, January 2010
About this photo: We're launching a new Thematic Photographic theme, on the road, with this photo. Please click here if you'd like to learn how this weekly Written Inc. feature works.
I think travel intrigues me because it gives me a chance to see and experience places that would otherwise remain out of reach. When I think about the kind of things I want to see, however, they aren't always the typical ones that everyone else flocks to. Zipping from one carefully scheduled tour to another on a bus filled with camera- and fanny pack-toting sexagenarians just so I can say I saw [insert name of globally-recognized tourist trap here] doesn't do it for me.

My philosophy is a little different: I see what I see. And it may or may not be iconic in the conventional sense. Either way, what matters most to me is that my family and I derive joy - or a similar benefit - from the experience. Jen, who pens the excellent blog, Cheese in my Shoe, shared this in a comment last week - and it's been resonating in my brain ever since:
"Photography gives us that gift of sucking the marrow out of a moment."
Right on, Jen. And when I'm on the road, I hope that whatever I capture through the lens helps me - and anyone who sees the result - suck the marrow out of that moment. For the coming week, I hope you'll share photos of your on-the-road experiences.

Your turn: Please post a picture taken while you were on the road - feel free to interpret this as liberally as you wish. Paste a link to the entry in a comment here, then visit other participants to share the photographic happiness. Repeat as often as you wish. And have fun, since that's what this is all about. For more info on Thematic Photographic, click here.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carmi,
thank you very much for the shout out. You're a good egg. :-)
(It's an old Southern expression.)

On the road? Does a one hour ride into the Big City count as a road trip? I'm in desperate need of a vacation...

Glennis said...

What a great theme. I love this photo, too - I've always thought trailers were quite luxurious.

I'll find something!

Peg Cherre said...

I've used my little dirt road for this challenge, the place that always offers something new, even though I travel it daily. I just have to look to find what's changed since yesterday - there's always something.

http://secondwindjewelry.com/jewelry-weaving-blog/2010/02/road-buddies/

Mojo said...

Great theme... though I wish you'd waited a coupla weeks for it. I'm going on the road later this month for an extended weekend and hoping to bring back some great new stuff. But no worries... it'll get used.

Meanwhile, I've got two trips to Topsail Island to fill in the gaps between the (diminishing stock of) shots of other places. And I never get tired of those.

Like this one:
Thematic Photographic 87: "On The Road" v.1.0 - Surf City New Year's Eve

hapzydeco said...

Last weekend in the midst of a muffin run pulled over at the Westport NY boat launch to capture this early morning scene. Across Lake Champlain one can see Camelback Mountain and the Vermont shoreline.

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

We dont get many vans like that in the UK, I love my caravan its massive Old and has character but its not as shiny as that one. Great shot Carmi.

BIG is best

Light and Voices said...

Here is my post for on the road again: http://lightandvoices.blogspot.com/2010/02/thematic-photographic-87-on-road.html
Joyce M

Rinkly Rimes said...

Seen when 'on the road'

http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2010/01/truckies-memorial.html

Glennis said...

My "road" picture is up!

www.doves2day.blogspot.com

carmilevy said...

Jen: I LOVE that phrase, and have been using it for years. I always get strange looks when I do. I wish more of us were more Southern in nature. The world would be a kinder, gentler place.

sanjeet said...

I love this photo, too - I've always thought trailers were quite luxurious.

Work from home India

Catherine said...

Running a bit late, but here is my rather unusual road photo for this week (we have a new road trip coming up in a few days time).

Mona Sweden said...

You can see a trailer in my photo too, though I have never travelled in one...

Glennis said...

I have another road photo - I would be interested in what you all think.

It's a bit blurred from movement, but I like the juxstaposition of all the parts.

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

Chuck Pefley said...

That's a great Airstream photo for your "On the Road" theme! There is something so friendly and nostalgic about these trailers ... such a different feel from the behemoths so common on today's highways! Nice!!

I'd like to contribute a different kind of travel ... scooter travel ... I did a 2500 mile trip across British Columbia and Alberta, Canada, then back through Montana, Idaho and Washington to my home in Seattle. This particular photo was made after a downpour in the Kootenay Mountains of BC.

http://almostoneaday.blogspot.com/2009/09/scooter-adventure-day-6.html

Glennis said...

One last "on the road" pic from me before our next theme.

http://doves2day.blogspot.com