Monday, February 08, 2010

Where the road slows down


Walk with me
London, ON, April 2009
About this photo: Thematic Photographic. "On the road." You know you want to.
London's Blackfriar's Bridge is a jewel that, sadly, few people here take the time to appreciate. I used to ride it every day on my commute to work and, come spring, I may yet find myself cycling across it regularly once more. While a newer structure would probably carry more cars and not give my wife the willies - she hates when we drive over it - I fear what our city would lose in the process.

For now, this wooden-decked, iron-trussed icon of another era forces us to slow down and enjoy the ride as we move between here and there. We all need moments of reflection, and this is as reflective as a piece of civil engineering can get.

Your turn: Do you stop and smell the roses when you're on the road?

5 comments:

Gallow said...

I like old bridges as well. This is a great one.

Sometimes I stop to smell the roses, but usually I stop to photograph them. ;-)

I hope all is going well.

Anonymous said...

Carmi, I don't know whether to be upset with you or glad to be made aware. When I read your post, the first thing I thought of was the Lowry Avenue Bridge in Minneapolis. I grew up a stone's throw from the Mississippi and crossed it on this old metal bridge many times. I remember the first time I drove across it in the winter; I hated every inch because the water vapor would freeze on the metal and you could feel your wheels alternately slipping and grabbing as you went over each individual girder. But at the same time, it was the coolest piece of history. I went to the web to find a picture of the green metal bridge to show you - and found, much to my dismay, that the bridge was demolished in 2008! (remember that we moved from Minneapolis in 2006). Apparently one of the supports had moved 11 inches and it was declared unsafe. After the 35W bridge collapse in 2007, it's good to see they were being inspected. But it's still a deep loss. Here is a link to a YouTube video of the demolition, if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YXh8endFdA&feature=related

I'm glad I know, but sad, too, that it is gone.

fredamans said...

If the roses are on the road, then no, I wouldn't want to be run over. If they are off to the side of the road, most definitely!

Mojo said...

Your description of Debbie's reaction to the bridge reminds me of an event form my youth. I had just gotten my learner's permit and on a visit to my grandparents in Louisville, GA my grandfather handed the wheel over to me and had me drive across the old wooden bridge across some creek or other. No guardrails, no nothin'. I'm just thankful my mom wasn't along for the ride, white knuckles and all. Obviously we survived the episode, and I think he probably knew we would. But for him to have that much confidence in me -- driving his car -- was pretty cool to a 15-year-old. Thanks for the ticket back.

Not quite as far back, and not nearly so anxiety inducing is today's offering. It's not exactly a rose either, but it stopped me long enough to grab a photo or three.

Thematic Photographic 87: "On The Road" v.6.0 - In Case You Forgot

Sara said...

It's more like stopping to take a photo - but, I guess that is just like smelling the roses...

Sometimes I just stop to pet the cow that is standing at the fence!