Saturday, July 06, 2013

A peanut's hard life

Nuts to this
London, ON
June 2013
For more Thematic "in rough shape", head here
Quick prelude: I know what you're thinking. A peanut? Has he finally lost it?

I hear you. It may seem a little, um, odd, to share a picture and a vignette of a peanut. But I've been doing this sort of thing ever since I started carrying a camera, and I don't think it makes sense to stop now. On any given day, we come across all sorts of tiny, weird little snippets that risk slipping into history if we don't steal some otherwise-fleeting moments to somehow record and reflect on them.

The world moves fast, so bizarro pictures of scented candles, tomatoes, burned out light bulbs, crashing waves, sweet little old ladies, and a mug of tea are my way of slowing things down just a bit. Thanks for your understanding and encouragement. Now, on with the show...

Looking at this forlorn peanut, I find myself wondering what it must have done to deserve the working over that resulted in it looking like this. Did it get into a fight with other nuts in the bag? Did its troubles start earlier, when it was being grown? Did it suffer from some kind of peanut-specific disease? Did the farmer who harvested it have a sudden-onset peanut allergy?

So many questions, yet so few answers. No answers, actually. But that didn't mean I couldn't pull out my phone and take a picture of it. Because that's what I do when I come across stuff that looks just a little bit different.

Hmm, maybe that says more about me than it does about my subjects. I'll have to mull that one over for a bit. In the meantime, enjoy the peanut.

Your turn: What oddness should I shoot - and presumably share here - next? I'm taking requests.

4 comments:

MarcD said...

Tell me, do you still hate Duran Duran? Just wondering if your musical tastes have improved yet.

carmilevy said...

Wow, Marc. Grudge much?

I think you need to get in touch with your happy side. Nothing - not even a hoary old 80s band - is worth stressing over. Manyana, dude.

Cloudia said...

You are delightfully weird!


Aloha

Harry Cohen said...

Two peanuts were walking down the street and one was a salted.