Monday, July 15, 2013

Thematic Photographic 252 - Cloudspotting

Tip of the spear
London, ON
June 2013
When I was a kid, I spent too much time lying face-up on the front lawn, staring at the sky and trying to find shapes in the clouds above. I doubt I was much different from any kid at that time. It was, after all, a pre-Internet, go-outside-and-play world where kids weren't hyper-programmed by over-protective parents and the world seemed a little less mean-spirited.

Key word: seemed. I'm sure it was plenty nasty and scary. We just didn't seem to notice it as acutely as we do today. Maybe ignorance was indeed bliss.

These days, I don't lie in the grass as often as I probably should. First, I worry about bug bites. And other, ah, stuff. Second, it would embarrass our kids. Third, I get nauseous.

But that doesn't mean I can't wander around with a camera and point it skyward. As I did on this evening a few weeks ago, just after a major tornado-warning-spawning rainstorm had swept through the area. The sky becomes an amazing place in the wake of a southwestern Ontario storm - or, I'm guessing, a storm wherever you happen to live. So please consider this my challenge to y'all to get outside over the next week to take in the overhead show.

Your turn: Take a cloud-themed pic - remember, how you interpret the theme is entirely up to you - and post it to your blog, website or other online "spot". Leave a comment here letting folks know where to find it, and be sure to visit other participants. New this week: Bonus points for anyone who shares the #ThematicPhotographic hashtag on Twitter and Facebook*. Head here for more background on Thematic. And don't forget to have fun with it. Because fun is what this is all about.

* I can be found on Facebook here, and on Twitter here.

13 comments:

21 Wits said...

I am a fan of cloudspotting since childhood as well! So bring on the clouds people! Here's mine

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2013/07/thematic-photographic-252-cloudspotting.html

Cloudia said...

Carmi, I posted some flavorful clouds here:

http://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2013/07/in-clouds.html



Aloha from Wacky Waikiki

photodoug said...

Carmi, here we is our spotted cloud.

Max Sartin said...

Beautiful picture, the way that one strip of cloud caught the light while the rest remained subdued. Great theme too. Here's mine.

Bob Scotney said...

I must have had my head in the clouds with these.
http://bit.ly/13rk3Fq

Michèle et Jean-Claude said...

Great theme as usual! Here is my contribution. Thanks Carmi!

http://cheznousottawa.blogspot.ca/2013/07/photographie-thematique-252-nous.html

fredamans said...

Beautiful and yet threatening streak across the sky.

http://fredamans.blogspot.ca/2013/07/cloudspotting.html

Alexia said...

Great theme, Carmi, and I love your shots. Sadly I haven't got any pictures in my clouds, just clouds in my head

Unknown said...

I love clouds! I have too many shots to choose from, so I will send you to my latest post... and since I am contrary, it is cloud streaking more than cloud spotting.

And I always link to my Facebook with my posts... does that count for bonus points?

Gilly said...

I love clouds, but Carmi, you chose the one week when we have had blazing sunshine in a clear blue sky! However, I have searched my archives and here are mine. http://gillymaccsphotos.blogspot.com

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Here are some clouds from Columbus.
~

Max Sartin said...

Here's some more I took this evening.

21 Wits said...

After another beautiful day of cloudspotting, I had to post more!

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2013/07/thematic-photographic-cloudspotting-two.html