Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Pondering the power of peeling paint

Decay you can feel
London, ON
October 2021
This photo originally shared on Instagram


Can a 2-dimensional image make you feel in 3 dimensions? Can a flat photo turn texture into something tangible?

I'd like to think so. And peeling paint under a giant bridge that spans an otherwise quiet valley strikes me as a worthwhile place to try this out.

Once upon a time I would have lamented the fact that the paint had been allowed to peel at all, that our city, in its infinite lack of wisdom, allowed yet another piece of public infrastructure to languish.

But it's just paint. Cosmetic, really. Nothing's about to collapse. Peeling paint is infinitely more fun to explore with the eye and the soul than a perfectly smooth surface.

And who am I to judge?

At least that's what I tell myself as I stare at the randomness mere inches from my face and muse about the fact that wonder is often found in the craziest of places.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #medway #valley #forest #tree #trees #thames #river #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #bridge #shadows #light #lines #geometry #monochrome #photography #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

No comments: