Friday, April 15, 2022

A reflective icon of the skyline

Light, in reverse
Toronto, ON
February 2017
This photo originally shared on Instagram


#CovidDiary, Day 11

We’re always told to look forward, but sometimes we need to look back instead.
I’m glad I turned around on this Toronto street. I’m glad I looked in the opposite direction, otherwise I would have missed this weirdly reflective view of the iconic CN Tower.

As we continue to grapple with COVID, I continue to look back at images like this, moments that I captured long before the pandemic was even a thing. Standing on the sidewalk that morning, it never occurred to me or anyone else what loomed ahead.

Indeed, trying to predict what lies ahead is something of a fool’s game, anyway. We can plan all we want, but the universe will always have its own agenda. And the universe will always win.

So we may as well stand on sidewalks - or wherever else we happen to be - and look in whatever direction we wish. And sometimes we’ll see reflections that allow us to see the familiar in ways we could have never imagined. Sometimes those reflections will be murky and imperfect. So much the better.

None of this prepares us for what comes next, but that’s not the point of any of this, anyway. It simply needs to be enough to make us smile in the moment as we squeeze just a little more pleasure out of the ordinary.

#ldnont #CarmisCovidChronicles #covid19 #pandemic #dayeleven #throwback

Previous COVID Series Entries:
COVID comes for me, April 4, 2022
Rail cop run-in, April 12, 2022
Duck, duck... April 13, 2022

Related:
Let's play peekaboo, September 2013

No comments: