Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Rail cop run-in

Pick a direction
London, ON
March 2017
This photo originally shared on Instagram


#CovidDiary, Day 8

A little over five years ago, this photo got me into trouble with the train cops.

I was on my way to work on a super foggy morning. And as I had done so often before, I thought it would be fun to grab a few murky frames before the sun burned it off.

Of course I had my camera, and of course I happened to be passing by a rail yard. Time was of the essence, so I stood on the sidewalk beside the crossing and snagged a few. I uploaded one of the photos to my social feeds and then continued to the office.

I had largely forgotten about my adventure when the receptionist called me later that morning to let me know there was a call waiting for me. The rail folks have a police force (who knew?) and apparently they saw my post and, um, had concerns.

The officer rather belligerently asked why I had been trespassing earlier. He mentioned the photo I had posted, and lectured me about the dangers of entering railway property.

I explained how I had shot from the side of the road, and used my longish lens to make it look like I was closer than I actually was. I held off on explaining compression theory to him, as I figured he was already not my biggest fan.

In the end I don’t think he was convinced, but by the time we ended the call he was no longer threatening to have me charged. So we’ll call it a win.

Why am I sharing this story? Because every photo has one, and it’s good for the soul to revisit them every once in a while. Share them, even.

Because when pandemic reality prevents you from getting out there to make new memories, there’s ample opportunity to resurface old ones.

Which begs the question: what memories are waiting for you to rediscover?

#ldnont #CarmisCovidChronicles #covid19 #pandemic #dayeight #throwback

Related:
A view from the train, November 2014

Previous COVID Series Entries:
COVID comes for me, April 4, 2022

No comments: