Saturday, April 16, 2022

Negative is the new positive

Looking over my own shoulder
London, ON
April 2022
This photo originally shared on Instagram


#CovidDiary, Day 12

I’ve finally tested negative. Still dealing with some crazy symptoms, but this simple, binary milestone seems to bring with it a welcome sliver of light. Maybe this truly will be over soon.

Speaking of light, I finally got back to shooting photos the other night. Nothing major, just a slow stroll over to the nearby park with our daughter to capture the sunset.

But what I shot mattered far less than the fact that I got out at all. It had been so long since I hefted my camera over my shoulder that I had almost forgotten how good it made me feel to use it.

Almost.

It’s a heavy thing. Not terribly convenient to shlep around. But that’s entirely the point: you’re supposed to pay attention to it, to be aware of its relative weight and bulk, to focus on the act of using it without being distracted by anything else.

Indeed, in an age where we play with our smartphones during dinner and stream Netflix while commenting on TikTok, there is no multitasking when we park the smartphone and use an actual camera to take pictures.

It forces us to be deliberate. To do only one thing. To be in the moment.

I didn’t realize how much I missed it until I picked the camera up again and played with it my hands, watched it come alive as I uncovered the lens and allowed light to flow through it. Toyed with the scene in my brain.

Being able to get out there, even for just a few minutes before the exhaustion caught up with me, was a welcome change from the past couple of weeks.

Maybe I’ll get out there again soon. I’m kind of counting on it.

More to come…

#ldnont #CarmisCovidChronicles #covid19 #pandemic #daytwelve #sunset #nikon

Previous COVID Series Entries:
COVID comes for me, April 4, 2022
Rail cop run-in, April 12, 2022
Duck, duck... April 13, 2022
The B-52 history lesson, April 15, 2022

Related:
Smoky sun redux, July 2021

No comments: