Sunday, October 08, 2006

Capturing fall's colors


I went for a walk yesterday with our eldest son. Zach is 11, and I've written previously about his growing interest in photography. We bought him his first camera last winter, and since then he and I have taken periodic strolls with no agenda beyond capturing whatever jumps out at us along the way. It's a thrill for me to see him talk his way through a picture: in so many ways, I'm watching myself learn the ropes all over again.

We set off late in the afternoon in hopes of capturing some of the deepening colors of fall. The setting sun was something of a double-edged sword in that it added drama to the landscape, but the shadows it cast made that drama tough to capture. Was it too much for a new photographer? Maybe. But it gave us lots to talk about as we slowly made our way through the neighborhood.

I found this forlorn pair of leaves along an almost-forgotten pathway. I'm keenly aware that a black-and-white picture defeats the whole purpose of capturing autumn's brilliant colors. But it was the composition and simplicity that got me. Here we were, enjoying a quiet and simple experience. So I thought the image should reflect that.

Your turn: I've got more b&w images in my archives that I'll upload if you're game. I'd appreciate your feedback.

14 comments:

kenju said...

I'm game, Carmi. What's not to like?

I'll admit a chuckle when I saw the title of the post - but I wasn't thinking outside the box - and you were!

Michele sent me this time.

Anonymous said...

Yeah fall is here and time for another set of wardrobe. Hmmm this is whta I like on seasonal changes. Anyway, have a nice Sunday!

Michele sent moi!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, so I have to ask, what type camera are you using? They are amazing. Have a great Sunday!

Here via Michele!

Anonymous said...

I love this photo and especially since the leaves are in the shape of a heart, beautiful!
~G

Thumper said...

B&W often captures alot more than color... I'd love to see more. Alot more.

caramaena said...

I'd love to see the pics carmi. I think this is a lovely shot.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Anonymous said...

Yes, nice tranquil composition.

Happy Thanksgiving Carmi.

Shephard said...

I love the silvery veins in the leaves.. had the photo been in color, I think we'd be looking at the color instead of the structure of the leaves. :)
Really nice contrast.

Here from Michele's
~S

The Mistress of the Dark said...

my 14 year old nephew has been into photography for about a year now. He gets some excellent shots. I'm hoping to run to one of our local parks this week.

Here via Michele's. Did ya have a good Thanksgiving?

Janet said...

I dont have a favorite season but the colors of fall really are inviting. It's sad though when you think the leaves change color because they are dying:(

utenzi said...

Michele sent me, Carmi.

I love this picture. I think it's primarily the sexual aspects that appeal to me but there's also some textural aspects that bring it home. Color would definitely detract from the picture, IMHO. I do love the lovely colors of Fall foilage, but this picture is symbolic and B/W is the way to go.

Anonymous said...

At first look, I thought the leaves were the wings of a butterfly. Great work, as always.

More, please?

Star said...

I have always likes black & white photography. Upload at will Carmi !

Sandy said...

I am always game for black and whites.

When my husband and I were first dating I used to tease him that his childhood photos were grey tones and mine were 'living' color. (He's, ahh, a bit older than me.) He takes great delight in my change of heart as I rely on black and white film to document the growth of our children each year. There is just something hypnotic in the stark contrasts. It does wonders to highlight the details.