Saturday, October 21, 2006

Layered mystery


I took this picture on Wednesday evening. The kids were at an activity, and I had been running all over town so that I could be there to watch them, then zip home to do a live radio interview (CFRB 1010 in Toronto) and then head back to them before they were done. It made for a really stressed couple of hours, but in the end I managed to be a dad, pull off the interview and generally keep all the balls in the air.

In the middle of the insanity, I grabbed my camera bag. I wanted to capture pictures of the kids, and thought I'd be able to sneak some images in when I wasn't otherwise busy cramming for the interview or watching them. It was multitasking, but I didn't want to miss out on some of the scenes from a memorable moment with the little folks.

I shot this one just as we were getting ready to head home. It was finally quiet, and I had a couple of minutes to look around for interesting scenes. I found this one and zoomed in on it.

Can you guess what it is? Can you tell us what this reminds you of?

Update - Sunday 10:15 a.m. - The Answer
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to wonder about and ruminate over this image. Looking through the comments, I am amazed at how creative you all are. This is the kind of picture that really makes the mind wander, and you all proved yourselves eminently capable of that.

The activity in question was swimming. The Canada Games Aquatic Centre - formerly the London Aquatic Centre - is not far from our home. It features a pretty striking architectural design. To describe it briefly, it is like a giant Quonsett hut, somewhat squared off at the edges, set at an angle so that one end of it is quite a bit higher than the other. Either end is capped by a giant wall of windows. It's a striking building that looks especially impressive at night, when the light from inside turns it into a beacon for the neighborhood.

As you can imagine, a giant metal tube-like structure with two giant pools inside can be a tremendously noisy place. So to keep the sound in check, they've hung big strips of fabric on the ceiling. They're attached at various points along their length, reminding me somewhat of the bunting that graces almost every American political function. To capture this image, I simply braced myself against the side of the building, pointed up, focused, and shot, gently.

In the absence of context, the picture can quite literally be of anything the imagination believes. This is why I love photography. I've pasted a few images of the broader scene to help place it all in its appropriate context.

Thanks again for playing along. Although I realize the whole suspense thing can be a little on the frustrating side, I hope you'll agree that it is, all things considered, a pretty neat learning experience. The question remains, should I keep doing this?

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that one stumps me... I can only think of drapes right now.
Hi from Michele to you from me

Carli N. Wendell said...

I want to say phone cord, but it looks like it may have been painted at some point, so maybe not?

Nic said...

Hmmmmm, I have no idea. It looked like something metal disk like at first.

Here from Michele's today my friend! On the post below my current one there is this AWESOME pic I took earlier in the week. I think it's one you might like.

Mike said...

That is a tough one. I have no idea what it is.

Here from Michele

David Edward said...

palm fronds (leaves) I like the way a shadow casts across from above.

its definitely organic, not man made.

its what carmi finds, when he is looking for fun

sage said...

it looks like old 33 rpm records stacked a bit off centered

Anonymous said...

Michele sent me. You have me completely and utterly stumped and cummerfluxed. I have no idea at all! It does look like you may have caught something in the process of spinning, like a tire or something...

darn! Now I have to wait to find out.

Anonymous said...

Record/LP spinning. That's my guess! Definitely. You took it at a lower shutterspeed for the blurred effect, right?

Anonymous said...

it looks as if its in motion, HM!! but i have no idea what it could be.

Michele sent me this time ;)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Good Morning Carmi...I'm here from Michele's!

It looks like a tire...either on a car or a bike....! Is this even close???

I have some more BEAUTIFUL Nature goodies up today, if you get a chance in your travels in blogville...do stop by!

rashbre said...

gasp. too difficult to figure. A stack of rubber mats?
And Hiya - Michele sent me?

Anonymous said...

A potter's wheel in motion? It definitely looks like something spinning.

srp said...

Here from Michele, this time.

I have no idea on this one. It almost looks like it is in motion. Perhaps if we knew what kind of activity or where it was taking place.

MorahMommy said...

Since I was there I know what it is so I won't give away the secret but it does remind of a record.

utenzi said...

To me it looks like vinyl siding on a house taken with a fisheye lens to give it unnatural curvature, Carmi.

Jennifer said...

reminded me of a record at first... then it makes me think of clay... outdoor siding... a tire... i know it's not any of these things... just that's what it reminds me of. love your mystery photos... will have to read the other comments now....

Jennifer said...

omg, i just read all the other comments... i can't believe that what the other people said is so similar to what i said... especially the one about siding and clay (potters wheel!!!!!) wonder if we are anywhere close on this one???

Jennifer said...

i said siding cause i used to work for a company that manufactures vinyl siding and now that i go back and look at it closer, it's def siding

kenju said...

Rings of Saturn? An old disc record? A drain cover in the street?

Panthergirl said...

I think there are clues in this post. "Activity"? Finally quiet? It's a spinning something-or-other.... but I can't figure out what!!!

Here via michele today!

Carli N. Wendell said...

Is it a bowling lane?
I can't stand the suspense. AT least when I take a pictures, I'm 99.9% sure it's a cat.

Catherine said...

It reminded me of flax leaves (New Zealand flax), except that I know it's not because they are too curved in the photo. Other than that, I haven't a clue. Michele sent me (I came back to see if the comments were working properly)

Jennifer said...

i still think it's a weird view of siding...

The Mistress of the Dark said...

It looks kinda like a tire.

Here via Michele's. You look like you were on one of the lucky blog servers that weren't down yesterday on blogger :) Yay for you!

Anonymous said...

Bravo to you, Carmi....a male multi-tasking and doing it well.
Hmmmm.....the photo looks like a grain of wood to me. Possibly a park bench?

rashbre said...

certainly shows what divergent thinkers we bloggers are!

kenju said...

Of course you should keep doing it. Can't you see we enjoy it??!!

Carli N. Wendell said...

Please stop. I spent my entire weekend hitting the "reload" button on my computer waiting for the answer to be posted. I haven't slept in 42 hours.

No, no, it's cool. Keep 'em coming.

Jennifer said...

uh, hello... of course you should keep doing it! i love it! and man, i was so sure it was siding! wow, was i ever wrong! i love it though, would have never guessed that one in a million years... keep us guessing! thank you!

Anonymous said...

I thought it looked like a potter's wheel, but I see I was wrong. I do love the photo of your daughter with her hair just cut. Michele sent me over this time.

Anonymous said...

I didn't forget about this, Carmi...just been super busy but found my way here this evening to look for the answer.
I'll be darn...wow. Now when seen for what it is...I shake my head even more at your keen photographers eye! Amazing and YES....keep doing this. Really enjoy it.
(But are you sure it wasn't the wood grain on a park bench? Hmmm....)