Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Night of the iguana


A visitor in the garden
Delray Beach, Florida, December 2007 [Click to embiggen]


The scene: my aunt and uncle's driveway. It's a sunny afternoon and everyone's outside soaking in the day. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, this magnificent lizard materializes and nonchalantly makes his (her?) way across the driveway and into the dense bush of the front garden. I run to grab my camera - thankfully nearby - and summon anyone within earshot to witness this incredible sight.

By the time I get back, my wife and daughter have named this iguana - Iggy, of course - and are intently watching it climb up a tree. I shoot as quietly as I can to avoid freaking the poor thing out, hoping to capture this unique moment in the life of our kids. Eventually, he climbs down, walks around the side of the house and is last seen headed toward the inland channel behind the development. And we're left with a memory card full of incredible images and a bunch of stories to tell everyone back home.

Your turn: Unexpected surprises. Please discuss.

13 comments:

photowannabe said...

What an amazing and colorful creature. Don't think I want to meet him all by myself though. Meeting him is a bit different than animal encounters in Canada I would think.

awareness said...

They are so prehistoric looking....as much as I'm fascinated by them, they also completely creep me out!

Fantastic photo Carmi......

tommie said...

totally have captures Iggy in her ( I am deeming her a gal) finest. She almost looks like she is striking a pose....like " I dare you to sell it...."

kenju said...

We had our own surprise; an Iggy walking on our deck some years ago, and she was even more out of place here than she would be in FL.

j said...

I wouldn't have enjoyed this as much as you. A little phobic about lizzards and snakes. But I am so glad that the moment brought your family joy!

Star said...

Wow ! I didn't know Iguanas like this lived in Florida. I have seen them this big, and much bigger in Aruba. find them to be beautiful creatures.

Jennifer said...

WOW

Lori said...

That is incredible, Carmi. I love how you caught him in mid-stride. The color is fantastic and he just looks all about his business!

I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing anything like this wandering around in my back yard!

Sharon said...

I love that lizard. He is begging to be painted, methinks. :)

Anonymous said...

What a spectacular creature! Of course, spectacular means a lot of things, but this fella? He doesn't seem "real".

Stumbling across one of these outside captivity would be one of those rare treats I'd have to savor...for a long, long time.

Great shot!

Joan said...

I love its orange-y color. All the iguanas I've ever seen were green. I wonder if iguanas can change their skin color to blend in, like a chameleon. Or maybe there are just a variety of iguana colors. I think I'll go look that up...

David Edward said...

reminds me of the unexpected surprise I got shortly after my wedding, hehe

here from michele

Omykiss said...

Wow! That is like something out of jurasic park all right! .... and here was i thinking that my tree fern was primitive ....