Please caption this image
[Click here for instructions on how Caption This works]
Lake Worth, FL, December 2007 [Click to embiggen]
Parking lots in the southernmost state in the continental U.S. don't have it easy. If they're not being battered by hurricanes, splattered by gang-related shootouts or ripped to shreds by legally blind octagenarians spinning donuts in their rusting metallic green 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cieras, they're being slowly baked into oblivion by the relentless sub-tropical sun. The sunshine state isn't so sunshiny, apparently.
So as I headed back to the car one fine afternoon, my eyes lingered on a patch of pavement that had clearly seen better days. I would likely say the same thing about the surrounding neighborhood, which is why I was happy to get in, lock the doors, open the sunroof and head back to my family.
About last week's image of an obese man napping in a beach chair: This one touched a nerve, generating more comments than any Caption This entry I've ever posted. [Pause for big collective cheer. There, let's continue.] I still don't know who he is, and I still pray he doesn't stumble across himself while searching the Internet for sunburn ointment at the local CVS pharmacy. Clearly, he'll need it.
Two submissions made me fall off my chair this week, so once again it's a tie:
- Robin's "Beached Male"
- Marko's "Wake-up Captain Highliner - they shaved yar beard and stole all yar fillets."
Tons of honorable mentions this week, including:
- Linda: "Sleeping Beauty, after hours of sun exposure."
- Shephard: Beached."
- Anne: "Ol' Leo dozes easily in his chair oblivious to the fact that a half of a woman's body lies behind him. Maybe if it was the top half, he'd feel differently."
- Sarch: "Life's been good to me sooooo faaaarrr....."
- Steve: "Belly glancer" and "Wet(suit) dreams" and "Great White" and "Not to be used as a flotation device" (note from Carmi: frequent fliers rock.)
- Robin: "Six shades of wrong."
- Mary: "All Tuckered Out"
- Scrappintwinmom: "Looking for that someone special to enjoy long...naps on the beach"
- B13: "It would be 72 hours until they realized Mr. Sanderson wasn't just napping by the sea."
- Jadedprimadonna: "Look Ma - I think Uncle Hubert has our beach ball!"
- Carli: "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."
- Beccadink: "One of the lesser known side effects of NOT turning over while tanning - inflating!!
- Sara: "Sun bathing beauty is all in the eye of the beholder."
- Awareness: Prince of Tides.
- Paige: We grow 'em big in the U.S.
- Joyismygoal: burnin' the fat at both ends:>
- Braincheese: "Does this chair make my a$$ look big?"
- Vanessa: "basking robbins"
- Whit: Ma'am, please put a top on.
One more thing: Although the reward is little more than something funny you share with your family at the dinner table, I've gotten more than a few suggestions to consider adding prizes to the mix. Working on it...