Sunday, February 03, 2008

Caption This 56


Please caption this image
[Click here for instructions on how Caption This works]

Lake Worth, FL, December 2007 [Click to embiggen]


Parking lots in the southernmost state in the continental U.S. don't have it easy. If they're not being battered by hurricanes, splattered by gang-related shootouts or ripped to shreds by legally blind octagenarians spinning donuts in their rusting metallic green 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cieras, they're being slowly baked into oblivion by the relentless sub-tropical sun. The sunshine state isn't so sunshiny, apparently.

So as I headed back to the car one fine afternoon, my eyes lingered on a patch of pavement that had clearly seen better days. I would likely say the same thing about the surrounding neighborhood, which is why I was happy to get in, lock the doors, open the sunroof and head back to my family.

About last week's image of an obese man napping in a beach chair: This one touched a nerve, generating more comments than any Caption This entry I've ever posted. [Pause for big collective cheer. There, let's continue.] I still don't know who he is, and I still pray he doesn't stumble across himself while searching the Internet for sunburn ointment at the local CVS pharmacy. Clearly, he'll need it.

Two submissions made me fall off my chair this week, so once again it's a tie:
  • Robin's "Beached Male"
  • Marko's "Wake-up Captain Highliner - they shaved yar beard and stole all yar fillets."
Mind you, so many of everyone's submissions almost accomplished the same thing. This was a rich, rich week for Caption This, and I am so thankful for your enthusiastic participation. Good on you all!

Tons of honorable mentions this week, including:
  • Linda: "Sleeping Beauty, after hours of sun exposure."
  • Shephard: Beached."
  • Anne: "Ol' Leo dozes easily in his chair oblivious to the fact that a half of a woman's body lies behind him. Maybe if it was the top half, he'd feel differently."
  • Sarch: "Life's been good to me sooooo faaaarrr....."
  • Steve: "Belly glancer" and "Wet(suit) dreams" and "Great White" and "Not to be used as a flotation device" (note from Carmi: frequent fliers rock.)
  • Robin: "Six shades of wrong."
  • Mary: "All Tuckered Out"
  • Scrappintwinmom: "Looking for that someone special to enjoy long...naps on the beach"
  • B13: "It would be 72 hours until they realized Mr. Sanderson wasn't just napping by the sea."
  • Jadedprimadonna: "Look Ma - I think Uncle Hubert has our beach ball!"
  • Carli: "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."
  • Beccadink: "One of the lesser known side effects of NOT turning over while tanning - inflating!!
  • Sara: "Sun bathing beauty is all in the eye of the beholder."
  • Awareness: Prince of Tides.
  • Paige: We grow 'em big in the U.S.
  • Joyismygoal: burnin' the fat at both ends:>
  • Braincheese: "Does this chair make my a$$ look big?"
  • Vanessa: "basking robbins"
  • Whit: Ma'am, please put a top on.
Your turn: Tell all your friends to drop in and take a shot at a caption. I'm a sucker for multiple-submitters and folks who pull friends, family and complete strangers into the mix.

One more thing: Although the reward is little more than something funny you share with your family at the dinner table, I've gotten more than a few suggestions to consider adding prizes to the mix. Working on it...

44 comments:

Cindy said...

"Peeling a sunburn"

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Anonymous said...

Cracking up


I go to pieces...


Trouble getting grip

Nestor Family said...

The D.O.T.'s take on diversity in the workplace.

I loved "Beached Male" from the last Caption This. Bravo!

Pat said...

Why does my lemon meringue pie always
turn out like this?
Michele sent me over again:)

Anonymous said...

"Canyons"

The natural erosion-formed channels make me wonder where the water run-off goes -- other than into the Atlantic, of course.

Cheers.

kenju said...

Unplanned obsolescence.

spwriter said...

The erosion of certainty.

What lies beneath.

A relief map of urban decay.

What? The White Stripes are breaking up?


That's it for the moment. Thanks for the mentions. BTW, Robin's "Beached Male" was brilliant. A well-deserved victory for She Who Writes Many Captions.

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

The heartbreak of psoriasis

Ass Fault

Do Not Cross Remaining Traces of Yellow Line

Mmm... cracklin's

Pave meant less

kenju said...

No game on here, Carmi! I hate the stuff. Michele sent me back, and I am glad because I wanted to say thanks for the lovely comment you left for me earlier.

Lara said...

"Someday, Dove's 'Campaign for Real Beauty' will find me, and victory will be mine."

Anonymous said...

Ah, Carmi...smiles to end my Sunday :).

Thanks, friend, for the co-win and the honorable mention. This was one of those (rareRARErare) times I thought my favorite might be a contender...it's unusual for something to fit so well. Of course, that being said, so many of the suggestions brought a smile, it was hardly a certainty.

Already I'm late to tonight's game and there are a host of choice thoughts posted...I'll probably be back with a few of my own, and I'll do my best to bring in a few newbies.

More soon...:)

BreadBox said...

"It was one of those summer days in Atlanta when the humidity hit the roof, crime hit the streets, and the sidewalks were hot enough to fry an egg...."

BreadBox said...

(and of course, "Atlanta" should have been "Florida" in that previous suggestion!)

N.

Omykiss said...

Message from Mars


Road code

Linda said...

This is your road, on crack....

Linda said...

Joan Collins: yet another failed attempted at plastic surgery.

Linda said...

The road less traveled is not all it's cracked up to be.

Anonymous said...

You can't judge a crosswalk by its cover.

I have to go back and look some more.

Anonymous said...

Under foot. Losing it.

awareness said...

Carmi, what a great list already. I'd have a tough time with these ones.......and in fact after reading them, I'm stumped! I should never do that. I should come up with a caption first in my head before I click on the comment button! so, I'm going to have to ponder it some more to see if I can come up with anything. Can I just say that spwriter is my caption hero!

:)

Sara said...

I really liked Linda's "The road less traveled is not all it's cracked up to be."

but I also offer up:
"torn and tattered"

Sara said...

coworker #1:

dividing line

Sara said...

co-worker #2

returning to my yellow days

Sara said...

co-worker #3

paint by number gone wrong

Sara said...

co-worker #4

we can get men on the moon but can't get paint on pavement . . . go figure

Sara said...

co-worker #1

tar marked

BRAINCHEESE said...

Keep eating eggs and bacon and your entire artery will clog up with yellow cholesterol.

PCS said...

No caption, but it brings to mind the state of science education in FL. No evolution please.

Beverly said...

Your description of the legally blind octogenarians strikes a chord. I was watching an elderly couple get into their rather new Cadillac one Sunday at church. He's 89, can hardly move, is deaf as a post, and yet was getting behind the wheel.

Parking lots do take a beating what with the sun and all. Does harsh winter weather do the same thing?

I have no caption...the ones I've read are all so good.

Anonymous said...

They take paradise and put up a parking lot...

Jason Roth said...

"No more Congressional earmarks"

spwriter said...

Crack Epidemic

Crevassephalt

Chip shot

Unknown said...

Dude, you forgot the sunscreen!

Ouch

Crack kills... tires on cars that is.

Anonymous said...

Hey:
I just wanted to thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Sorry, I cannot come up with anything (about the parking lot) what have not been said yet... However, my favorites of already listed ideas are "Cracking up" & "Ass Fault".
Happy WW!

Rebecca said...

Sadly Bozo the Clown realzed the he had left his face paint out in the sun too long.

Anonymous said...

Snap, krackle, pop... road krispies.

Red said...

One to many...

Anne said...

Call the dermotologist, we need a Glycolic peel.

Ontario Emperor said...

"Wasted away again in Margaritaville"

(Yes, I realize that this shot wasn't taken at Key West, but it's all south Florida, isn't it?)

Unknown said...

Whoops, it should have been white!

Rainbow dreams said...

true colours exposed...

I missed this Carmi! :)

Joy T. said...

Oiy, this one is hard! How about "Ancient Graffiti"

John said...

Now that's what I call a line dance!

Marsha said...

asfault!