Thursday, March 19, 2009

Waved off


Please don't drink the water
Deerfield Beach, FL, December 2008 [Click to enlarge]


When I'm juggling a bunch of writing assignments, I often get so sucked into the process of assembling words that I forget to give myself a chance to breathe. Today was such a day. The work actually went remarkably well. I'm working through a range of truly fascinating projects, partnering with diverse teams of incredibly skilled people who really are fun to work with. But after staring at the screen for hours at a stretch, I needed to let my mind wander elsewhere.

Hence the beach pic. If I could live closer to one of these neat places where earth meets water, I would. I suspect I lived a past life with sand in between my toes, because I'm constantly finding myself drawn back to these places. Port Stanley, barely 50 km from my doorstep, already beckons. Anyone who wants to join me on an early morning bike ride there is more than welcome (once I get my bike legs back, that is.) Grand Bend, just over 64 km in the other direction, is next. I'll bring my camera and my BlackBerry in either case.

Your turn: Places that bring comfort. Please discuss.

About this photo: We're exploring "drink" as this week's Thematic Photographic theme. Head over here to get started.

12 comments:

b13 said...

I just had a hot cocoa with a shot of Kahlua... does that count?

Cloudia said...

Aloha OY!

Pamela said...

I'm headed for the Oregon coast on saturday.

Camera is going too.

NJ said...

I grew up in Kincardine on Lake Huron and lived there from when I was in Grade 6 until I graduated high school. After coming from Alberta where we lived in small gas towns in the middle of nowhere it was like "heaven". Every home is within 10 minutes of the beach...it was wonderful. We live on a bay that comes off of Lake Ontario now and I love to always see the water and boats fishing but I do miss being close to a beach.

bobbie said...

"comfort places" That immediately brings to mind the last days of my mother's life. I would visit her, and be so exhausted, emotionally afterwards. I would go to Leaming's Run Gardens, and sit for a while beside the water, in the wonderfully quiet forest setting, and be restored.

Water has always been curative. I am fortunate enough to live near the shore, and often find myself drawn to the beach.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you....if I could live next to an ocean I would be completely happy.

Daryl said...

My stinky cat haired covered couch .. hey, its my comfort spot ..

I am actually going to be in CVE the end of April ...

Carolyn R. Parsons said...

Well Carmi, if you pop by my blog and look at the picture on my banner that is the ocean view from just up behind my mother's house in Newfoundland. It's my favourite view and my dream is to build a house there and look at it in my retirement years.

www.breezedaze.blogspot.com

Breeze

Evey said...

I LOVE the beach! Last year we spent a week on the beach in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and are headed back there this summer. I cannot wait. I love sitting out late at night listening to the waves or early morning before a lot of people are around and watching the sunrise over the vastness of the ocean. AMAZING!

kenju said...

I love the ocean too, and I can sit on the beach and stare at it for hours, but the best place for my comfort is a shady glen in the middle of a forest rife with wildflowers and berries.

Tanya sent me today!

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's pretty fantastic. It's been too long since I've seen the ocean. Guess it's time.

(NetChick sent me here again.)

Anonymous said...

Two fish at the beach:

Fish # 1: Lets do the wave !

Fish # 2: Shut up !

Mr. Limpett