Thursday, December 02, 2010

At the Stonecutter's Arms


Touch this
Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC, August 2010

Thought I'd throw in one final sepia-toned shot before we call an end to this rather well-received theme (here's where it all began.) It's been a wonderful week, thanks to everyone who's contributed, but all good things must eventually come to an end. Thankfully in my world, every ending is followed by another beginning, so tonight at 7 Eastern, we'll launch yet another theme: Night.

The neat thing about this shot is that I grabbed it in color and didn't post-process it. Sometimes, the light has a mind of its own before it works its way through the lens, onto the sensor, through the camera's circuitry and ultimately onto the memory card. I guess it was just a monochrome/sepia kind of scene to begin with.

Your turn: Now that we've had a week of sepia-toned goodness, it's time to reflect. What's the appeal of a scene without color?

One more thing: The title of this entry has a musical connection. Care to take a guess?

10 comments:

Vicki said...

Carmi,
I must admit, when I first saw this post my thought was, " Who is he trying to kid? This hasn't been changed to sepia." The hues and tones are gorgeous!

For me, the lack of color adds drama to the photo, or a sense that what you see in the photo is not what you would see now in person.

Music?? I'll leave that to someone else.
Have a great day!

Kalei's Best Friend said...

The appeal is that your imagination comes into play.. cuz, u have to figure out how it would look with color....dude, did u see my Calif. bell?? a whole lot of history there. lol....

Ankita Sarkar said...

I guess sepia gives that distant nostalgic feeling to things... beautiful photo, that one.

carmilevy said...

Vicki: Thanks for the level-set. I thought the same thing as I considered using this pic for sepia.

What gets me about this particular shot is that it isn't particularly noteworthy if you walk past it in real life. It's just an abutment on a waterfront walking path under a very ugly bridge. Yet through the lens, in this light, it's something quite different.

carmilevy said...

KBF: Haven't made the rounds of everyone's blog this week. It's been crazy-filled with unpredictable deadlines. Looking forward to seeing your bell!

Tabor said...

Since you asked 'without color' and not just 'sepia' I think the appeal with live animals and people is that you can get inside them a little and feel the energy or lack thereof and with inanimate objects you get a sense of space and structure.

E Makes Art said...

Hi! I just found you and love your photos and writing.

I think the lack of color really helps to simplify the photo so you can focus on the light, form, and true beauty of what's been captured.

xoEsther

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are so amazing.. this looks warm, and i would love to lay my hands upon that wal..

Music? a song by Tom Cochrane?

21 Wits said...

To me the sepia tone places a soft, gentle welcoming tone to things...colors don't get in the way of your focus on the photo...sepia alows it all to blend in a natural tone.

Anonymous said...

I love the texture in this shot!