Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dognap


A sleeping dog lies
London, ON, September 2010
About this photo: This is one of my favorite photos of the year. Coincidentally, that's what Thematic is celebrating, too. Go here to share a fave of your own.
I don't write about our dog, Frasier, as often as I perhaps should. I don't mean to ignore him on the blog. Indeed, he's anything but ignored in the day-to-day life of our house. He's the centre of the kids' world, the object of their constant attention, and their absolute favorite reason for getting up, for coming home or just being themselves on the living room floor.

He's our fixture, our loyal buddy, the sweet-looking being who follows us around the house and never lets us forget how much we need him. I don't have a whole lot to add to this picture because this is him: Rested and content. I wish I could grab a little bit of his spirit for myself.

Your turn: The appeal of a pet dog. Please discuss.

5 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

My sister's wolfhound puppy destroyed the indestructible dog toy in less than 12 hours.

It's a Festivus Miracle!
~

21 Wits said...

This is an example of a picture being worth more than a thousand words. Dogs are my world, always have been, ask any stranger even when I meet their dog. If there is such a thing as having past lives, I surely was a dog once, especially with the fine oiled working nose smeller I have. But mostly you hit the true answer on the wall! We love our family, but to me (and many) having a dog a part of our world that is the glue that bonds us to return/awake/live again and again!

srp said...

Daisy trembles when she sees the large Marmaduke across the way, even though he just wants to play. She is having quite the time right now with a bit of heart failure and wanting to run but not being able to and then there is the snow.... the detestable, nasty, white stuff that makes it hard for her to walk and do her business outside and it sticks to her hair with little ice balls forming. We have 9 inches overnight and counting and she does not like snow.

I always am amazed that, like children, dogs have the capacity for selective hearing or should I say selective listening, down to an art form. Say "treat" and they are there... call them to go out when there is snow and they are no where to be found.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Here's a doggy tail, err tale, for you, Carmi.
~

Chanel said...

I recently watched a documentary about dogs, and a scientist at the end likened them to parasites, which made me angry. I have a pet dog. She's my companion. In exchange for food, love, and a bed to sleep in, she gives me love and companionship and entertainment and comfort.

That same documentary said that when you pet a dog your brain releases the same chemicals it does when you're holding your children, which is responsible for emotional bonding, and that the reason we respond so strongly to dogs is because they have a lot of infant-like features and qualities. It was an interesting study.

My dog may not serve a practical purpose aside from sounding the alarm when someone is at the door, but she's not a parasite. She's a member of my family, and I love her. I think most people feel the same way about their dogs.