Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Light me up


Diffused light
Toronto, ON, August 2010
[Click here for more sepia]

The Festival of Light, better known as Chanukah, gets underway today. Why does this matter? Because it isn't only grey outside my window; it's grey everywhere else. It isn't always something we see, either. It's a feeling, a sense that we can be better to each other, that we can try harder to look out for the other guy instead of for ourselves, that we can be less quick to judge and more quick to let our gentle side come out.

It's not that difficult. It starts with a little light.

Your turn: Fixing the world. In your world, where does it start?

6 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Before I can 'fix' my world, I gotta get myself together otherwise I would be no good in trying to remedy what needs to be done... :-)

CorvusCorax12 said...

i'm with Kalei on this, i have to start with myself

srp said...

I'm thinking it is more than gray even... darkness.
In Genesis God spoke light into existence on the first day... but He didn't create the sun and moon, which we usually associate as sources of light, until the fourth day. Then in Exodus, Moses' face was so bright from simply being in the presence of God on Mt. Sinai that he had to hide his face from the people. In this dark world, only God'd light making a difference in the hearts of men and working through us can really make a difference.

Tabor said...

Mine starts with wishing you a Happy Hanukkah! I am not a religious person, but I want the light to shine on all of us each and every day so that our paths are not so gray.

21 Wits said...

of course beginning with ourselves, but oh is it ever so nice to first wake up to a sun filled morning....finally the sun has remembered where my house is!...then I can now begin a beautiful day of being thankful it's here......and shed love, kindness,and patience where ever I go....

Snaggle Tooth said...

Happy Chanuka to you n the family!

I'm still wondering what this pic is of...