Friday, December 31, 2010

The sun sets on another...


...year
Laval, QC, August 2010
About this photo: Thematic Photographic has been sharing our favorite photos of 2010, and we'll be doing this right through January 6th. If you've got some fave shots, click here to get started.
I'm cheating a little, as I featured a similar picture from this same shoot here. But I learned a long time ago that shooting more than one shot of a particular scene reduces the chance of coming home with nothing. Because if all you've got is one frame and it's a dud for whatever reason, you've got nothing.

This photo is quite likely one of my favorites of the year not simply because it reflects a fleetingly spectacular moment that I was privileged to see. No, there's more to it. I took it from my in-laws' balcony. Every time I'm there, I shoot sunsets, usually bolting from the dinner table to grab the moment before it's gone. My mother-in-law often watches through the window and suggests when I might want to head outside. Even if it comes in the middle of dinner. She gets it.

So this pic isn't my favorite simply because it's aesthetically pleasing. It lingers in the happy pile because it illustrates that photography has become so much more than a mechanical process for me. It's a way of connecting with family, friends, and all of you. It starts conversations, gets everyone thinking, inspires them to take the picture and turn it into action. And even if they never touch a camera, the process touches them in some way. Neat.

The seemingly simple process of lifting a box of electronics to my face and pressing a button now goes way beyond the creation of two-dimensional images. It's become a critical part of my narrative - and I strongly suspect of yours, too. That's also neat. I think that thought, coupled with this picture, is a nice way to close out the year.

Your turn: May the coming year bring only goodness to you and your family, and may we all continue to drink in the amazing things this planet has to offer us. I've never been one to make resolutions on arbitrary days of the calendar, but I've got hopes and dreams for the future. What are yours?

12 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

My main hope as well as both my daughters' is that my son will realize he needs to get the help he needs...

Unknown said...

I love that no two photographs will look the same. Havve a good New Year's!

Anonymous said...

What a dramatic sunset! I love that your MIL "gets it."

I hope that our house sells quickly and easily at the end of the school year.

nesh said...

Hi,
Nice Sunset! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
Private Investigator in Miami
Sirius Starmate

Dawn said...

kcinnova has it right...it IS a very dramatic sunset!
A very fitting photo to end this year with for sure!!!!
(I find it wonderful you feel this picture is more than just that, but can also feel a connection with others through it. Great story on how "she gets it"....there's nothing better then when people do!)

Wishing you and your family a wonderful New Year! Can't wait to see what your blog holds then....
Cheers for 2011!!!

fredamans said...

This really is a splendid photo. The sky on fire is amazing!

SY said...

the thing that makes photography so interesting is the story it tells. you have a lovely story for this photo.. for me when i look at this picture it makes me think of about how the sun sets on a day just to bring you a new one with new opportunities..

happy new year

Cloudia said...

Wishing all of us,
including YOU, Carmi
Aloha from Hawaii

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

21 Wits said...

Yes this by far is truly an on fire lovely sunset....for the new year as always that we make more memories yet to carry us through the good and the bad....may we all live long in appreciation!

awareness said...

Hey Carmi! Happy New Year to you and your family!
I'm bursting with hopes and dreams for me and my children and for all of my family and friends who have walked a mile or two with me this year. I am blessed....feel it and know it.

My ultimate personal dream is to take that giant leap into the world of publishing. I want my writing along with some of my photos to lead my career now. I know I'm ready. My focus is returning as I plan for this. I truly believe I can do it.

d.

ps. I completely understand the extended magic of photography. It does connect me to others and visa versa. It drums up interesting tidbits in conversations, especially when I pull my camera out in the middle of a get together to take pics of faces, legs, eyes, wine glasses, sunsets, and life all around....from my angle. haha!

Chibi Janine said...

Carmi it has been a delight seeing your photos including this one and thank you for setting up this wonderful project that is Thematic Photographic it is wonderful.

I wish you and your family and every one else here a very Happy New Year .

that guy said...

looking forward to jumping on the thematic photo bandwagon when things settle down a bit...

bless you and yours and a prosperous...

Happy New Year!
Bruce
bruce johnson jadip
evilbruce
stupid stuff i see and hear
Bruce’s guy book
the guy book