Saturday, December 10, 2011

Blood on the street


The color of stop
London, ON, December 2011
About this photo: Thematic explores the "seeing red" theme this week. You can, too, by pointing your mouse here.
It had been a restless evening. Although the house was peacefully quiet, with the kids tucked in and the happily-walked dog already snoozing on the living room couch, I was churning way too many things in my head. Upcoming deadlines, longer-term deadlines, life and career stuff...the kinds of things we were always taught not to sweat, but still manage to sweat, anyway.

I remembered something I saw from my earlier outing with the pup. I had changed up our route a bit and wandered near a traffic light. The roads were damp with the remnants of the first wet snowfall of the season. I didn't see the lights as much as I noticed their reflection on the mottled pavement. I made a mental note to return if I had the chance.

And I did. Never mind that it was still spitting outside - sometimes you just have to follow your muse whenever the moment is right. I slung the camera under my coat, tightened the lens hood and stepped into the damp, miserable night. As I walked, I checked the wind direction to keep the flakes off of my lens, then shot quickly when I got to the corner.

I'm guessing I shoot for a number of reasons, the least of which is getting the picture. Sometimes I just need some quiet time to think. Sometimes I just want to hold onto that moment. Sometimes just getting out there despite it all is enough of a reason.

Your turn: Now that you know why I do the photography thing, why do you do it?

4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I love to experiment! LOL.. also its a stress release for me... I think our personalities show up in what we photograph, don't u think? Our emotions show thru and when words are added that just enhances the photo. Many times the photo says what we can't or are afraid to say in print or vocally.

Gallow said...

When I was photographing a wedding in October, the priest had to tell me that I was in the way. I moved. After the wedding I apologized. I told him that when I'm photographing, everything becomes external. I'm no longer there, and everything revolves around getting the right angle, the right light, the right subject, the right composition. In a way I think it's similar to meditation. It's no longer about me. It becomes an appreciation of the moment.

Great article, thank you for posting the question.

Anonymous said...

Beauty, captured.

Galen Pearl said...

Powerful photo and post title.