Thursday, December 08, 2011

Where the steel rails never end

I took this picture earlier this week on the platform of London's Via Rail station. It's a jewel of a facility whose construction began the transformation of the city's once-derelict downtown - well, it's still kinda derelict, but we'll leave that discussion for another day - and has been a regular backdrop to our family's adventures.

It was a dimly lit early morning, mixed with the kind of grey, snow-tinged dampness that signals winter's impending arrival. I had just walked my mom to the train and, as has become my habit, was standing on the platform waiting for the train to leave. I don't know why I do this, but I feel funny just turning around and walking away. My mom, bless her, had taken a seat on the other side of the train and had no idea I was there, but that's not the point - it made me feel better to be there, so I stayed.

It didn't take long for the platform to empty out, and soon enough I was standing completely alone. It was a strangely peaceful moment to be in a place of such transition, so close to to many who were going so far, yet still wrapped in near-absolute silence. Soon enough I'd be back in the car on my way to another busy day, but for now I wanted to remember what it felt like to deliberately put the world on hold for a bit.

Your turn: Being alone. Please discuss.

One more thing: What does this really grainy pic from my smartphone have to do with "seeing red"? The rail lights way beyond the end of the tunnel were what first attracted my attention. Squint hard and you'll see 'em. Click here to share your own red or reddish view of the world.

5 comments:

Tabor said...

This photo really captures that feeling...and haven't we all been there? Life is moving on and we are briefly being left behind. It kind of feels like the air being sucked out of a room, at least, until we take a deep breath and then a step in the other direction.

Dawn said...

I understand the feeling of it being strange to turn around and walk away before the other leaves.

I feel as though I am standing right there.
Alone is time to truly breathe. If only for a moment- before the day scurries on. I truly cherish the moments where time stands still...the moments I am alone.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I completely understand why you felt a bit strange turning after your mom had boarded... I would get that feeling whenever I would drop someone off at the airport... for me its a feeling of them going and not seeing them, even tho we can talk on the phone and we know we will see them again...

Anonymous said...

I'd like some alone time that doesn't involve cleaning the kitchen!
So sweet of you to wait until your mom's train had left.

young-eclectic-encounters said...

What a wonderful expressive photo. I used to wait at the airport and watch the plane leave while my daughter left for school but with secutity the way it is now; it's really pointless; but I still can't leave till she is safely inside.
With having 6 kids alone time was a rarity for many years (I have a daughter who was 20 when she realized it was the first time she was alone in the house and it spooked her) but now being an almost empty nester I am enjoying the solitude.
Johnina