Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Heartbeat of America


Bowties not optional
Delray Beach, FL, January 2010
About this photo: We're exploring branding this week. We call it Thematic, and it starts here.
Despite Tim Allen's claims that Chevy Runs Deep, I still remember when it was known as the Heartbeat of America. Commercials celebrating baseball, apple pie and anything else remotely jingoistic seemed to dominate the airwaves as a struggling GM tried - and largely failed - to counter a rising tide of better built imports. (That's because they also celebrated some pretty lousy cars, but that's a story for another day.)

Luckily for GM, the Chevrolet brand managed to survive a generation of uninspired design and largely absent quality control. And whenever I see a bowtie logo, I'm reminded of a time long ago when advertising made you feel something. Maybe we can have that kind of feeling again.

Your turn: Ads that make you feel. Please discuss

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I hope we have that again too!

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Can't bring myself to buy American.. My son's truck is and it runs ok, but the service dept. @ then dealer is awful and the sentiments are echoed with other dealers, employees, customers... I had a Dodge van and it was more headache than anything I have ever had...