Friday, March 02, 2012

Walking along the edge of the planet


Man on a beach
Pompano Beach, FL, December 2011
About this photo: Thematic. Greyish. Here. Because you know you wanna.
I had come to the beach, alone, ostensibly to shoot the sunrise. As it was, Mother Nature had other plans. The thick cloud deck and a driving wind - complete with sea spray and sand - made the whole sun thing a bit of a challenge. So while I waited for things to rearrange themselves in the sky (no worries, they eventually did here and here) I focused on other things. Like strangers walking along the surf - something I wish I could do every day.

As I tracked this lone soul, I found myself wondering what he was thinking. Walking with your feet surrounded by pounding surf must be the ultimate form of early morning catharsis. I toyed with calling out to him, but felt some things are best left unanswered, some people best left undisturbed.

I'll just have to take my own walk in the surf the next time I'm down there.

Your turn: Where do you walk? Why?

1 comment:

Tabor said...

I just watched the movie "The Way" last night which talks about why people walk...a movie about pilgrimages.