Friday, March 02, 2012

In today's Toronto Star - Windows 8

Not a day goes by that I don't realize how lucky I am. Married to my best friend, father to three great kids, comfy house in a quiet burb, dog who sleeps on my pillow...all the apparent trappings of a life well lived.

The topper is the work thing. I write for a living. Sometimes, I can close my eyes and almost feel the words form in my head, all by themselves. All I need to do is get to a keyboard so I can capture them. I'll often wake up early - like I did today - and let the magic happen before the rest of the house comes alive. Then using technology that's little short of magical, I'll send the results far and wide, and then wait.

More often than not, my words end up in some amazing places. And sometimes, I'll read them back because as much as I hate looking inward, it's good practice to learn for next time. And sometimes when I do this, I get a feeling that this was a particularly sweet piece of prose.

My inbox tickled with an alert just now. The Toronto Star just published my assessment of Microsoft's latest operating system, Windows 8. The company released a consumer preview the other day, and here's my take on what it really means:
Microsoft needs Windows 8 to keep it in the game. Here's why
I hope you enjoy the read. I'll have more to share later. For now, I've got to go high-five some people.

2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

The word ' eponymous ' gobsmacked me (as the Brits say).... omg, had no idea 8 was coming...Does Microsoft ever take a rest? An IPad is one thing I don't have...I guess there are some glitches w/7 that I haven't yet encountered, so maybe that's a sign that 8 will be totally or near spotless??? I can only hope...
Enjoyed the article Carmi!.

21 Wits said...

I planned on reading your article but with KBF being gobsmacked over eponymous, I REALLY had to click quickly! (which by the way Webster Dictionary has a comment section where they hope you tell them where you saw eponymous used) I'm serious...great style of writing Carmi and as I read your "new poster children for tech-tomorrow" it got me to thinking just how even cooler the techy life will get once the children of today grow up with what they have today...Just how they will better it for their (our) tomorrow! Imagine that!