Wednesday, March 07, 2012

On Steve Jobs, 5 months on

"Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact, and that is everything around that you call life was made up by people who were no smarter than you. And you can change it. You can influence it. You can build your own things that other people can use. Once you learn that, you'll never be the same again."
Steve Jobs


I thought today would be an especially appropriate day to share this. I was writing an Apple-themed article just before, and in between bursts of wordy goodness I found myself musing on the company's prospects since he passed away, and its longer-term future as new CEO Tim Cook continues to settle into his role.

I realized this quote held the answer. For as generationally unique as Mr. Jobs was, he wasn't the only one capable of making his own mark on the world - or dent in the universe. We all are. As he reminded us with his words, we just have to realize we have that power. And then we have to act.

Your turn: So...what are you going to build?

3 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

I build the future; I teach.

Steve Gravano said...

Yes, I totally agree with Lisa, teacher...good teaches build the future. We all effect the future in some way, positive and negative. All of us may not become the next modern day Einstein...Steve Jobs. Maybe, in our lifetime we may not even see the next great innovator. We should just remember all of us need to do our share in making our world better for the next generation.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I so agree, in a different take, it also applies to when we move on to other jobs... Another one fills what we left...