Saturday, October 12, 2019

Finding color under your feet

Singular beauty
London, ON
October 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
I had been wandering around for days looking for fall colors, but due to some inexplicable mystery of nature, I hadn't found them yet.

Sure, here and there I'd see a flourish of red or orange or yellow. But nothing that would take my breath away.

Looking at everyone else's Instagram and Facebook feeds filled with ever brighter explosions of riotous color, I thought perhaps I'd been looking in all the wrong places. Wouldn't be the first time.

So as I set out on a quick walk through North London this morning, my hopes weren't high. And sure enough, as I looked around and decided which way to go, all I saw was green with a few reedy patches of yellow mixed in for good measure.

Then, as I picked a direction and followed a path into the nearby forest, I looked down and saw one leaf on the boundary between sunlight and shade. It wasn't day-glow orange, but it was bright enough to stop me. I stood over it for a moment, wondering how to capture it.

In the end, I went with simple because, well, I prefer simple. And as I packed up the camera and continued my journey, I thought about the singular leaf at my feet that proved there was indeed color, after all.

I just had to know where to look. Literally right at my feet. Funny that.

A gnawing voice deep inside me says the universe is trying to teach me about more than mere colors. I'm inclined to think the universe is correct.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #huron #street #park #thames #river #forest #trees #leaf #autumn #fall #color #colors #stilllife #photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #google #pixel2 #teampixel #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: