Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Publish Day - getting published

My latest column in the London Free Press, Author prevails in finding publisher, focuses on the very real challenges of getting published. I was lucky enough to observe London author Mark Rayner's efforts to launch and market his newly-published novel, The Amadeus Net, and thought his experiences in doing so would resonate with anyone who was thinking of doing the same.

The intestinal fortitude I witnessed in the process was monumental, and I have an even deeper respect for him and anyone else who has the conviction to follow a dream and get a book out there.

Editorial correction: a glitch seems to have creeped into the piece following submission. The lede should in fact read as follows:
Mark Rayner has some advice for would-be authors who want to get rich and famous from writing: put down your pen.
Your turn: Wanna write a book or get your name and work out there in some sort of historically significant manner? Why? What drives you?

(BTW, here are links to his web site and his blog. Both are compelling reading, just like the book.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there fellow Canadian! Nice to find you, which I did from your link on the Mommy-Matters blog. I will be back to read more but so far, I LOVE what I see.

Thumper said...

I write because it's just in me; writers write whether they have a publisher or not. For me there doesn't need to be anything historically significant; it simply needs to be a story worth telling, and I need to tell it well enough that people will want to read it.

As the smaller upstart publishers make their way into the market, the big boys are keeping a wary eye on them; the new print technologies are making it much more affordable to take chances on new writers; give it 20 years and the whole business may have changed.

Anita said...

Carmi,

Great article! As someone who has just finished the first chapter of a novel - it's pretty depressing, but not without a ray of hope. I definitely don't want to get rich doing this. I really enjoy writing, but I'll admit that there is an element of affirmation in being published that appeals to me. My book is targeted toward the young adult market. I've been told that it is easier to break into, but I'm not sure I believe it. At any rate, my first chapter was abysmal, but I'm working with a phenomenal writing group,and I think it is under control now. Onward and upward!

Diane said...

So Carmi - was this article written as a result of a bit of research for your own publishing needs as well? I hope so! I'll be one of the first in line, so keep us posted.

Rhodent said...

Checked out your article from the link and am now going to try to get hold of his novel!

Cool Dad said...

Carmi,
I write and hope to make some kind of contribution to the world because I've been down the other road. I worked retail at an expensive shop and my contribution to society at that point was that I helped a really rich woman purchase a bag she didn't need and the proceeds went to another rich woman who didn't need them either. Woohoo. I help two rich women become more vain. It just isn't fulfilling. If I make someone laugh or think in a new and different way, now that is fulfilling. Oh, and I want to hook up with all the writing groupies out there.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I write because I'm addicted to making meaning.

Anonymous said...

I write because it hurts not to.

And someday, yes, I'd like to actually publish something for money, but I'm afraid to submit anything to anyone...must work on that, I guess.

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure what i'm doing with this blog thing as yet, i do have a reason for having one, but the writing aspect isn't the major point. i actually enjoy reading most of the blogs i frequent more than writing mine.