Sunday, July 17, 2005

Technology goes to the birds

Our van has a neat feature: little sensors on the back bumper that beep when they detect an obstacle. They're obviously no replacement for actually turning around and carefully eyeballing the scene before you start to move, but they don't hurt either.

So the other day, I'm backing out of a driveway when the thing starts to beep. I'm absolutely certain that the only thing remotely close to my rear bumper is air (OK, smoggy air, but nothing that will result in an expensive crunch.)

My wife saw it first: a tiny bird had flown right past the bumper and set off the sensors just as I shifted into reverse.

Never let it be said that technology is anywhere near perfect.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, atleast it works, eh? :) I sent myself, Carmi :)

Anonymous said...

nice to know something little like that will set it off

Christine said...

Wow! Well I suppose it's nice to know that even something as small and fast as a bird can set it off.

True Jersey Girl said...

I would just be glad I didn't hit the birdie!!!

Crazy Single Mom said...

Now that is a sensitive sensor!!!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love technology designed to protect kids... just like the garage door sensor. If anything as small as a toe gets in there, the door goes up. Nuisance? Maybe. Calming? Definately!