Sunday, August 09, 2009

Caption This 132


Please caption this image
[Click here for Caption This instructions]
Laval, QC, July 2009 [Click image to embiggen]

About this photo: Thematic Photographic explores lines all week long. This photo apparently has many of them, so I hope you enjoy pondering the possibilities. Do you want in on the TP madness? Of course you do! Click here to start the fun.
I have a fundamental aversion to sitting in one place with nothing to do. I can't stare blankly at a wall, for example. I have to pick it apart and catalog every last detail and blemish. And I won't be satisfied until everything I've identified has a corresponding story behind it.
"Yes, officer, that brownish smudge beside the stove is where I shot the intruder with my blow gun. He disappeared into the night, but not before he wiped his bloodied hand on the paint and grabbed the last of my dog's chew sticks. I think you might want to try the vet first."
So as I sat in my father-in-law's car while he was in the bank, I thought it would be neat to explore his instrument panel with my lens. The car is new, and since his kids are all grown up, everything is as pristine as the recent day when it rolled off the assembly line in Brampton, ON.

And as I mulled over something in a line-ish theme, I realized this one fit the bill oh so nicely.

Your turn: Please click on the comment link below and suggest a snappy, creative caption for this image. You may enter as often as you wish. Winner's announced next Sunday. If you're new to Caption This, click here for more background - and say hi to the old ladies while you're there.

About last week's picture of Zach watching the laundry: Since this photo was taken, the laundry room's undergone still more hastily planned chaos, as our almost-20-year-old HVAC decided to stop HVACing. I don't know about you, but providing basic things like heating, cooling and hot water strikes me as one of those core requirements of parenthood. Sure, we could have used the money to, I don't know, eat. Or maybe drink ourselves into a drunk-enough stupor that none of this would have mattered anymore. But at least now we don't have to stand beside the A/C unit and wonder why it's dripping a torrent of water into the drain while the vents blow warm-ish air. Using half the energy will be a bonus, too.

And through it all, our kids continue to find reasons to ooh and aah over the laundry machines. Our house sure is strange, but we love it that way.

This week's honorable menschens are the following lovely folks:
  • Dana: "Soap opera."
  • Tabor: "Mom, come watch kitty!"
  • Anne: "Do I have to watch this channel?"
Thom takes it with "Mom...Dad...when does the movie start?" Thom hails from Hawaii, and everything he posts on his blog is woven with the friendly, family-focused, laid back vibe that makes this place #1 on everyone's wanna-live-there list. The world needs more good guys...Thom's certainly one of 'em.

13 comments:

awareness said...

Let's get this started.....my brain is on weekend mode having just returned from two days along the Fundy shoreline, so I am not at my creative peak.... :) I will return but, here are two....

At rest

Idling away

ps. I do like the word pristine. For some reason it resonates with me.

Anonymous said...

Oh My gosh Carmi. Thank you so much. I so appreciate it. I'm going to mention this on my Musical Monday post tomorrow. I certainly appreciate this. I'll have to think a bit on this one for next week. Can he make it two in a row? LOL. Have a great week. Thanks again my friend. Aloha :)

Anonymous said...

Okay here's my caption:

"Slow Down - Speed Kills"

spwriter said...

Hey, Carmi. It's been a while since I played Caption This. Thought I should take advantage of a tiny break in my work madness and join in on the fun.

*Potential energy.

*Going nowhere fast.

*Gauged beast

*When fossil fuels run dry.

*Needlespoint

*Southwest.

*Instruments are meant to be played.

*Awaiting green incentive.

kenju said...

Going nowhere is what I thought of.

Mojo said...

Being in the precaffeination stage of the day, I really got nothing other than "Wow. Not a bit of glare from the glass. I'm impressed!" Which isn't actually a caption so much as an observation. I did however manage to get a couple of new entries into the theme though.

Thematic Photographic 61: "Lines" v.4.0 "Crossed Wires"
Thematic Photographic 61: "Lines" v.5.0 - "Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'"

Peg Cherre said...

Here are some thoughts.

"Wow, I thought we were going faster than that! Want another hit of this doobie, bro?"

Let me set this dial to 220 we can travel to the future.

Saving gas

Why I ride my bike

"Gee, officer, I was only in second gear."

MissMeliss said...

En-gauge. (Spoken like Jean-Luc Picard)

Or

En-gauge-ing.

Jean said...

* 0 is the new 100

* Am I faster than thou (said the speedometer to the fuel indicator)

Anne said...

inside out

(since Americans are used to seeing mph on the outside and kph on the inside, this speedometer is reversed for us south of the border.)

Robin ~ PENSIEVE said...

Steve's back? Game on...! (Though things have been runnin' just fine without the likes of him or me!)

Starting line
Brake dance
Running on empty
Still shot
Less than zero
Yes, we're there yet
Speed O meter
Inertia
Before...
Parking spot
Ready...set...
Stopped light

:)

PastormacsAnn said...

You always have a gift for capturing the mundane making it so interesting to look at.

I'm going to view this one in a positive light and say,

"Oh the possibilities are lining up."

Sara said...

Gentlemen, get ready to start your engines