Friday, August 21, 2009

Thanks, Bill


Surfin' USA
Deerfield Beach, FL, December 2004


I'm in a beachy mood today, hence the inclusion of another view from the edge of the dry part of our planet. Standing in a place where waves from G-d-knows-where just barely touch my toes brings me a certain semblance of peace, and today's been one of those days when peace has been welcome.

Your turn: What brings you peace as the week transitions to the weekend? And where's your summer-themed photo? I know you've got it in you.

About the title: Hurricane Bill continues its (his?) tour off the eastern seaboard of the U.S., whipping up waves and annoying the bejeebers out of folks who live near, work on or transit across the water. This photo reminds me of the power of the sea, and how small we all feel whenever we come face-to-face with it.

13 comments:

kenju said...

The ocean brings me peace, too, Carmi, no matter whether it is calm or whipped-up as it is right now. Green, majestic mountains do the same.

David Edward said...

took my daughter to college today
I cant think of much else to say

Mojo said...

My love of the ocean is well documented, despite the fact that I'm rarely actually in it. (In fact, I recently committed one of my rare -- these days -- non-photographic posts to this very topic.)

Not the ocean this time, but the beach for sure. I offer my third installment for this week's theme.
Thematic Photographic 63: "Summer" - v.3.0 "Slippery Slope"

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if it is the fault of Bill or the fault of whatever came over the Appalachians today, but we've had a good solid soaking here. The only part that feels like summer is the muggy heat. The dark skies and pouring rain seems out of place somehow.

The ocean speaks to my soul, but I can't say it calms me or brings me peace. It does bring me to a sense of oneness.

Country Girl said...

Just coming to our house brings me peace.
Cheers!

Tabor said...

My summer themed photo was posted this morning...not exactly what most would think...but represents summer here.

Queen B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cozy Kitchen by the Sea said...

Nothing soothes my soul more...the ocean...
I finally have my thematic pics up.

Scarlet said...

Beautiful pic. I'm a little further south (in Miami) and luckily Bill has not affected us.

Today is a peaceful, sunny South Florida day and the sound of the ocean (more than the view) can fully relax me.

Have a beautiful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Having my niece and nephew spend the night and enjoying them to start the weekend gives me much happniess. :) Loved the photo

momemts in time said...

Carmi, yes the sea can bring an inner peace, but just drifting in a canoe where the water is clear, or hearing cowbells on a sunny day in the Swiss Mountains are also high on my list.

Unknown said...

I hope to join you this upcoming week .... you have a fun challenge :)

cheers!

Unknown said...

Hi , I have been following your blog for about few months. I realized that I'm so amazed by your work that I always forget to leave a comment. You're blog is my absolute favorite that I check daily. So different, so unique.

--
Venus
Best Affordable Security Systems Suitable for Renters and Apartments, Business and RV