Mallorytown, ON, July 2009 [Click to enlarge]
I like shooting sad. I'm not a sad person - pensive, maybe, and perhaps somewhat thoughtful when I need to be, but definitely not sad - but I enjoy what sad looks like and how it tends to make us a bit more reflective than we otherwise might be.
Which is my way of explaining why I chose this week's Thematic Photographic theme, abandoned. When I walk around a place like this, I like to close my eyes and imagine what it must have been like when it was new, what the people who were here - and have since vanished - were like and what it felt like to stand in this very spot at a very different point in time.
In fact, time does things to a place, some nice and some not so nice. And when the world moves on, we're left with empty, sometimes scary spaces that make us wonder what was, and what happened to change it all.
Your turn: I hope you'll join Thematic Photographic this week by sharing an abandoned-themed photo, then posting the link in a comment here. For more background on how TP works, read on:
- Every Wednesday evening, at precisely 7 o'clock Eastern, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
- Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...abandoned!
- You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
- You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
- If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry. Old or new, all photos are welcome.
- You may post as many photos or links as you wish. For the next week, I'll be supporting this theme with a related picture/posting each day. I encourage you to do the same. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
- Please share this link with friends, too, and encourage them to join in. The more, the merrier.
- And please accept my thanks for your enthusiasm. Your participation has made TP a true highlight for me each and every week.