Monday, August 31, 2009

Big shore, little moments


Curved
Grand Bend, ON, July 2008
About this photo: This week's Thematic Photographic theme is big. This is as big a picture as I've taken in a while. Got one of your own? I hope you'll share it here.
I was flying home from a trip to San Francisco. Our flight was headed to Toronto, but as we went feet dry and put Lake Huron behind us, we were barely 60 km from my house in London. Thoughts of parachuting from there and hitching a ride home to avoid the puddlejumper leg from Toronto to London filled my jet lagged head.

I thought I recognized the broad sweep of shoreline from my many hours playing with Google Earth (try it...it's more fun than a chocolate sundae) and sure enough, I was looking down on the local beach resort/party town of Grand Bend. This is a place that's been an important summer ritual for our family, a place where my wife and I have spent time together, with our kids, with our extended family, with treasured friends.

As I stare at this picture, of a place that looks so small yet looms so large in the history of my family, I'm reminded that it's time to return here once more, time to write another chapter in our unfolding story.

Your turn: A place that plays a big role in your life. Please discuss.

7 comments:

smarmoofus said...

Grand Bend is well-named, isn't it? That's a pristine shoreline... is it sandy beach, or more rocky?

-smarmoofus

Anonymous said...

Great photo and awesome story. Mine has to be out city buses. I'm in them driving for 9 hours a day. It's like home away from home.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Hey Carmi, I would have to say my father-in-law's log home at Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. We have spent endless days there as a family and have so many wonderful memories there. I don't, however, have an aerial view of it ;0)

Carolyn R. Parsons said...

Wow..and mine is Grand Bend..we love it there! How wonderful to see that shot! I remember a helecopter ride back home in Newfoundland, my little home town is Change Islands and it was a totally new perspective. Wish I'd taken pictures but it was a surprise trip as the ferry wasn't running(ice floes in June).

This is beautiful...I love beautiful sandy Grand Bend and have many pics on my blogs of my trip there this year!

Breeze

Pamela said...

a perfect shape -- mesmerizing, really.

Mojo said...

This was one of the first posts in my reader first thing this morning and this shot got my eyes open even more effectively than my coffee. Utterly.awe.inspiring. And a grand finale(?) for the Big theme. Because really, how are ya gonna top that? Bravo Monsieur!

Thematic Photographic 63: "Big" v.7.0 - Big Finish

MorahMommy said...

What a gorgeous picture. I love going to the beach and I hope we get to go to it this weekend!