Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Thematic Photographic 64 - Big


Bridge to somewhere
Montreal, QC, August 2009 [Click to embiggen]


I chose "big" as this week's Thematic Photographic theme because it isn't always easy to represent something massive in a small picture that someone will be viewing on a 19-inch monitor or 3-inch iPhone screen. Photographers play with scale every time they trip the shutter, so I wanted to play with size for a week to learn a bit more about how scale works. And how it doesn't.

I hope you enjoy shooting big as much as I do, and want to thank you in advance for joining in. I promise it'll be fun.

Your turn: Thematic Photographic is kinda simple. Just post a pic that follows the theme to your blog, then paste a link to the entry into a comment here. Here's more background on how TP works:
  • Every Wednesday evening, at precisely 7 o'clock Eastern, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
  • Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...big!
  • You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
  • You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
  • If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry. Old or new, all photos are welcome.
  • You may post as many photos or links as you wish. For the next week, I'll be supporting this theme with a related picture/posting each day. I encourage you to do the same. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
  • Please share this link with friends, too, and encourage them to join in. The more, the merrier.
  • And please accept my thanks for your enthusiasm. Your participation has made TP a true highlight for me each and every week.

27 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

I had to decide how I wanted to interpret the BIG theme, and choose from a variety of photos I liked, ultimately deciding on one that represented a great time with family & friends as well as an interesting place to visit.

http://secondwindjewelry.com/jewelry-weaving-blog/2009/08/big/

Mojo said...

Yeah, "Big" can cover a ... broad range of stuff. But since I've been a little crushed for time and imagination of late, I opted for the obvious interpretation in my opening round. But it's really REALLY big.
Thematic Photographic 63: "Big" v.1.0 - "Big-ness Writ Large"

Canadian Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Canadian Mark said...

I went a little outside the big box with this one. :-P

My "Big" post.

MAgnus said...

I have found somthing big thats alive, but not at all scary.

Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Fun, fun, fun!
Here's mine:
http://kcinnova.wordpress.com/2009/08/26/big/

Marie said...

An amazing shot on a bridge. A really piece of art :-).

http://carpediemmie.blogspot.com/2009/08/tp-64-big.html

Have a nice day everyone!

sealaura said...

very majestic, i love the color. i'll have to think about BIG for a bit...

Anonymous said...

Excellent my friend and you are so right. I had a hard time with this and it's not too good but oh well. HERE IT IS. Have a great Thrusday :)

Unknown said...

What a great post. I am totally inspired.
I love your blogs and i often visits your blogs.... Thanks for the post.

--
Venus
Best Affordable Security Systems Suitable for Renters and Apartments, Business and RV

Vita Stunder said...

Great shot Carmi!

My first version is up a bit 'stretched' maybe, but hey.. one of'em is big! ;)

Anna

magnus said...

Here its another picture thats not so small.

By the way Carmi, what a outstandig picture of the bridge, could very well hang on a wall.

hapzydeco said...

Mid-August we attended the game where David Wright was hit in the head by a pitch thrown by Matt Cain in the bottom of the fourth inning. Took this photo of Mr. Met during the seven inning stretch.

Unknown said...

You're right - it's hard to capture a big object in a little camera :)
Mine is of a big animal. I saw it while on vacation a couple of weeks ago ....

just plain big

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

What a great theme! I cant do more than one this week as Im well busy but here goes for mine.

Here is My BIG one

amanda said...

Carmi I like the lines on this bridge but the color seems kind of drab. Your depth of field is so awesome on this shot it seems to go on forever.

Come see my water dropping helicopters!

Mojo said...

This looks very similar to a couple of swing bridges I'm familiar with, but I don't suppose they still use those in places the size of Montreal anymore. You do get the sense of "bigness" but just how big ... maybe if there were a person or a car for scale? Still, it's an impressive structure and a fantastic capture. Did it give you what you were after is the only question. And since only you know what that was, only you can really answer the question.

I had a similar problem with this tight shot of something really immense (though not immense like this bridge). Thematic Photographic 63: "Big" v.2.0 - "Crane Style"

Glennis said...

God, that's an impressive photo!! Love the scale.

I have been going thru my photos and I realize that most of mine are SMALL!

Nej said...

Happened upon your site last week, love the bridge shot!!!

Here's my try at BIG...

http://kayaknej.blogspot.com/2009/08/bigger-than-life.html

Vita Stunder said...

My second version is up.
Have a great weekend.

Anna

momemts in time said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
momemts in time said...

Sorry the link was incorrect, so this should work

Light and Voices said...

Big was a challenge for me until I saw this at Weyerhaeuser, Wisconsin: http://lightandvoices.blogspot.com/2009/08/thematic-photographic-64-big.html.
Joyce M

Barbara said...

Now that is one big erector set! Great shot! My "big" has a long neck, big brown eyes, and long eye lashes. Check him out here.

smarmoofus said...

I have looked over my recent photos, and found a big one to post. I might share more as the week goes on. I need to get myself back into the habit of posting. It'll encourage me to take more pictures.

For now, there's smarmoofus

Barbara said...

Here's another BIG. Question: Would you cross this?

Glennis said...

Hi, Carmi and friends. I don't have a "Big" photo today, but I have just made an incredible discovery that is a follow-up on an earlier thematic photographic I posted back in May.

Come take a look at my discovery about my earlier "sign" post.

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

Maybe we could call it a BIG discovery!