Monday, June 18, 2007

Backlit photographic mystery


What is this?
Shanghai, China, May 2007 [Click to embiggen, but not if you're from Shelbyville]


I'm pleased to share another in a series of informal images that are difficult to identify and make very little sense, but that have still found their way into my photographic archives. In other words, the kind of image that I might not have taken when I was shooting film. Yet another way in which digital has changed the way I take pictures.

Your turn: Can you identify this picture? Take your best shot. Take as many shots as you like: I'll post the response, as well as details on how this picture came to be, in a week. Have fun!

19 comments:

awareness said...

My first thought? Crystal beads adorning an elegant chandelier.

JC said...

Carbonation in a glass of Coke

Thumper said...

Bubble ball garland?

longspider said...

um... I'm with "awarenes" - some sort of bauble adorned chandelier?

kenju said...

A display of necklaces?

Craver said...

Pretty.

that is all.

JC

Anna said...

chandelier.....definitely. I love how they hang in lod hotels...like the hotel was built around them. Great shot Carmi!

Anna said...

*old hotels*

Star said...

glass beads?

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Carmi,
Don't know what it is, but I love it.

Your right, bro. I agree with you on how digital technology has changed the way we capture images. It frees us up to explore our creativity in a whole new way.

Lee Ann said...

Soda bubbles?????

Anonymous said...

napkin ring?

Kyle said...

I was never very good at this "what is this?" kind of photography, so I really admire this shot.

The texture is fantastic!

Rachel said...

Oh my! I have no clue!!

Nestor Family said...

Glass beads on an old lamp?

lissa said...

I think they're christmas ornaments.

Gyrobo said...

That's clearly a Medieval rendering of the heavenly spheres.

Anonymous said...

Well????? WHAT IS IT???

:-)

carmilevy said...

Kudos to Awareness, Hanulf, Anna, Star and Heidi. This is a closeup of the chandelier that hung over the very large table where we had dinner our first night in China.

I think we were all a little jet lagged and somewhat overwhelmed that we were even here. While we chatted and worked our way through the menu, I quietly lifted my camera and zoomed in on the light fixture. It was really big - as was the table - but I decided to go in close to ensure I captured the light just so.

Thanks, everyone, for playing along. More mysteries to come.